Contributor
Registered since

Nov 25, 2020

Bose home speaker 500 not working with Alexa anymore

My Bose home speaker 500 stopped working with Alexa all of a sudden. Nothing changed on my network and it has been working flawlessly for the last couple of months since purchasing. Now whenever I say ‘Alexa’ it just flashes orange 4 times. I tried resetting to factory defaults and reconnecting Alexa and still same response. I am able to control the speaker through the Bose app on my phone just fine and can see it is connected to network ok. Alexa just isn’t able to control it anymore. I also tried controlling it through the Alexa app on phone and it won’t work there either. I have removed Alexa and added it again there too. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 25, 2020

Re: Bose home speaker 500 not working with Alexa anymore

Author Accepted Answer selected by Jascolley

I finally got it resolved. I followed your instructions on uninstalling everything and did another factory reset on speaker. After doing this a couple of times it finally started working again. The only thing I did differently the final time before reinstalling Bose app I went in to my iPhone settings and cleared safari history under settings -> safari -> clear website history and data. I also renamed the speaker when I added it back in to Bose app to something different this time in case somehow it was being cached with Alexa or something and causing issues. Hopefully this helps anyone else having issues. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2020

I have exactly the same problem - started a couple of days ago. Like you, tried re-setting everything but no result.

Hello Jascolley,

Thanks for reaching out. 

The light flashing four times indicates that the voice assistant and/or internet connection is unavailable. @Ianleeds, do you experience this light too? The steps you have taken to fix this are great, there are some steps we can complete in a specific order, (as shown) to get this resolved. 

• In the Bose Music app, tap the image of the speaker in the lower-right corner. If the image is a different product, tap the My Bose icon in upper-left corner, select the speaker, then tap the image of the speaker in the lower-right corner.
  • Select Settings > Voice Assistant> Alexa > Remove Account > Remove.
  • Log out of the Bose Music app.
  • Uninstall the Bose Music app.
  • Reboot your router.
  • If you have linked the speaker in the Alexa app, this needs to be removed.
  • Reinstall the Bose Music app.
  • Log back in.
  • Set up Alexa.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 25, 2020

I tried all of what you mentioned and still just get 4 flashing lights when I say Alexa. Like the other user stated it just started a couple days ago so it seems like maybe an update recently or something might have triggered the issue?

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

Contributor
Registered since

Nov 25, 2020

Also I know it’s connected to internet because I can use the Bose music app to play music on it from iHeart radio, etc. I can also see it’s connected to my router and hitting internet just fine.
When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

@Jascolley, thanks for getting back to me. This is strange, please can you try the troubleshooting here and here and let me know how it goes? Out of curiosity, do you have any other Bose products with Alexa, and do they work?

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Contributor
Registered since

Nov 25, 2020

Author Accepted Answer selected by Jascolley

I finally got it resolved. I followed your instructions on uninstalling everything and did another factory reset on speaker. After doing this a couple of times it finally started working again. The only thing I did differently the final time before reinstalling Bose app I went in to my iPhone settings and cleared safari history under settings -> safari -> clear website history and data. I also renamed the speaker when I added it back in to Bose app to something different this time in case somehow it was being cached with Alexa or something and causing issues. Hopefully this helps anyone else having issues. 

View solution in original post

Participant
Registered since

Nov 26, 2020

Followed the instructions. Worked perfectly! Thanks.

I guess the problem occurred because I added an Amazon Echo to my network.