Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 1, 2018

Bose portable home speaker battery life is awful + audio is problematic

Hi there, recently i purchased a  a portable home speaker. As a owner of a revolve + for two years i felt an upgrade was needed plus the idea of connecting both via simplesync was appealing as my revolve+ is working well still after many drops.

Intially testing the speaker at home for a few minutes he seemed fine. The day after i used it to a full extent.

I noticed the battery doesnt hold long so i did some checking.

At 80% volume. Battery holds 1.5-2 hours which is absolutely ridiculous. Tried 100% volume and it ran out  of juice in an hour and 5 minutes!

While i  know the rated 12 hours is not supposed to be while running full volume so

I tried 50% volume and it held 5.5 hours. 

Absolutely disappointed. Especially since my revolve holds full volume for 4 hours and this speaker is supposed to be better.

More over that, i noticed the revolve + is louder than my new portable home speaker

First i i didnt believe my ears. Testing few times i i noticed that while using simplesync indeed the revolve plus is louder and while using them apart in most cases the revolve + is louder (only case it wasn't louder is when i listened to a very treble based song).

Also the sound sounds muddy and very poor. Bass is indeed better than the revolve+ but this sounds really wrong.. especially in high volumes

Warranty is intact as this was bought 2 weeks ago.

Talked to the local bose store in israel

They doubted my complaints and said they want to take it to the lab and i may be qualified to have a return. Which is obscured. 

Proud owner of the wireless soundsport , when i had a problem with them a year ago(rubber peeling and battery discharged fast) i went to the local store and they said i wasn't qualified for a return. Only after posting here about the situation and applying to bose global email they gave up and gave me a replacement.

Im hoping this wont happen again. And hoping i just got a damaged product from the factory and replacement if needed will go smoothly unlike last time.

Mabye there is a way to fix it and the product is not damaged.. would love to try troubleshooting. Tried resetting the speaker. Didn't work. 

Thanks in advance. 

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted

Re: Bose portable home speaker battery life is awful + audio is problematic

Hello Yu1208, 

Thank you for posting and reaching out to the community today for support. The Portable HomeSpeaker seems to definitely not be performing as it should be. 

Let's start by performing a reset on the speaker by pressing and holding the Play/Pause button for ten seconds. The light ring will display pulsing white light on top and bottom as the speaker reboots and connects to a Wi-Fi network. 

I would also recommend performing a manual update on your speaker via these steps here.

We look forward to hearing back from you with the result in these steps.  

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 1, 2018

Hi. I took time to answer back as i were testing the speaker forward  after doing the above steps and taking it to the local bose lab afterwards. To give a full insight.

I saw your reply on the same day and followed the steps. Reset the speaker and the app showed software was indeed up to date.
I started testing again, more Bluetooth connection usage than wifi. It was a little better, but still. Nowhere near as claimed. So i took my portable home speaker to the bose certified lab here in Israel and gave it to them with all the claims i wrote.

3 days later. Im called by the technician who tells me the following things: he tested the battery. Which he claims is totally fine and works like a charm. Does the rated 7v 3A it should deliver (guess i learned a little about the hardware inside) and doesn't drop charge overnight ( he tested the speaker in standby mode)
He claimed that the speaker according to his testing lasts 2-3 hours on full volume, 6 hours at around 50% - 60% volume, and the only way to achieve the rated 12 hours is to play the speaker at 25% - 30% volume!!
He told me that the battery dropped 12% per hour playing around 40% volume which translates to around 8.5 hours of use. It is important to mention this test was conducted using WiFi connection.

After hearing this and being completely shocked. I didn't know what to believe. As its one of two things: Either he is lying to me, or bose lies about the battery life expectancy of the speaker.
Both are really hard to choose from, as i own the revolve plus and it does hold charge very well and stands up to the claim. I used it for 8 hour long shifts at work running 75% volume average (sometime i lowered the volume and sometimes raised) and i went out with around 20-30% battery left!! This is really disappointing, especially as the website states it should run 12 hours on high volumes, not 30% volume..
He didn't replace my unit (as he claims its fine), said he reset it and updated the software again and left it for me to pickup.

i wanted to know what is the next step.. can i get a refund? I don't want to shell 350$ on a speaker which doesn't deliver what was promised.
Maybe a replacement? I dont know where the problem really lies, that's why im asking here..

Highlighted

Thanks for getting back in touch, 

The Portable Home Speaker can provide up to 12 hours of active use and up to 24 hours in standby mode.

A use-time of 1:05hr is not normal for this product so moving forward I would recommend getting in touch with local support to discuss your options for service. 

I'm afraid we are unable to advise on refunds, this is not something we can assist with via the Community. You will need to discuss this with your local team

Thanks.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 15, 2020

I could not agree with you more regarding the battery on my Bose Home Portable speaker. I purchased my speaker at the end of July and have returned it back to Bose 3 times so far. I received my 4th speaker from them yesterday, and guess what? With the battery fully charged, I went to bed listening to ocean waves (white noise) at a very low volume and woke up and it was 7hrs later and it was 68%. The other 3 speakers I returned were in the 20%-30% range. I will have to call them again tomorrow and more than likely be shipping this one back as well. So much for their reputation. On top of all of this, I sent my Bose Sound Resolve Plus back last week for the second time for guess what, battery issues. I have had to send a total of 5 and now 6 speakers since March back to them for repair. I have $700 tied up in Bose speakers and can’t even use them. We deserve better from a company like Bose but I know one thing for sure, I will never ever purchase anything from them again.