Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 26, 2020

Brand new BOSE 500 Home stuck in "update loop of death"

I have just bought a brand new BOSE 500 Home.

I had to update the firmware right away and its stuck in the update loop of death that  apparently happens to a lot of people.

What is going on here. I thought BOSE was supposed to represent quality hence the premium price tag? You really need to up your game on this guys and girls as it seems the issue has existed since mid 2019 at least according to the forums.

BEFORE any BOSE people post

YES - I have turn it off an on again (unplugged, waited a minute)
YES - I have rebooted my rooter. Its a fast connection, its not the router at fault.
YES - I have performed a factory reset (holding + plus aux at same time for 10 seconds).

Still I have to do the update, and still it never finishes updating.

Does anyone have the latest manual file for the BOSE 500 home that I can try as Ive heard some people having joy with this.

Otherwise I guess Ill have to send this thing back.

I would like this resolved, 

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Re: Brand new BOSE 500 Home stuck in "update loop of death"

Hello jasondainter,

Welcome to the Bose Community!

Really sorry that you're unable to complete the update of your Home Speaker 500. I appreciate you letting me know what you have already tried. These are great steps.

Now could you please try and manually update your speaker? This can be done by following these steps >> Manually update Home Speaker 500.

Please let me know if the issue persists thereafter. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Feb 26, 2020

Actually this fixed itself, it finally installed after waiting hours. 

Now I have two new issues.

1) The speaker does not show up as a bluetooth speaker on my brand new samsung smart TV. This was the whole purpose of me buying it. Why isnt this supported?

2) Amazon alexa doesnt work! It seems in Sweden (where I live) its not supported. It was advertised as coming with Alexa in the Media Markt ad where I bought it so I find this to be a total scam frankly. it should be clearer in your literature that Alexa doesnt work in a whole load of countries.

Ill be taking it back.

Thoroughly 

Highlighted

@jasondainter I'm glad to hear that the update has now completed!

We do not actually recommend using the Home Speaker 500 as a TV speaker. Connecting via Bluetooth will most likely present you with latency issues. If you are looking for a Smart Home speaker to connect to your TV, I would recommend the Soundbar 500 or Soundbar 700. They are part of the same speaker family, but these will connect to your TV through HDMI/Optical, and you will not experience this issue. 

With regard to Alexa integration, I'd like to apologize if you have been led to believe that it is available in your location. We always state that this is subject to availability. I've just had a look on the MediaMarkt website and can confirm that Alexa is only mentioned as a possible software update in the future when it becomes available. "Kommande programvaruuppdateringar ger dig nya funktioner – som integrerad röststyrning från Amazon Alexa när den blir tillgänglig i din region."

If you have any further questions, please do get back to me.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 2, 2020

Bose homespeaker 500 update issue

Bose HS500 updating since hours. The internet connection is over 100mbps. No completion status shown in app. App can't even detect the speaker. Tried restarting but didn't help..the LED indicator has white pulse from right to left. It has been almost a day but still going on. Kindly advice ASAP.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 2, 2020

Re: Bose homespeaker 500 update issue

Same issue here, the light has been sliding left to right since yesterday.. Factory reset not working, restarted a few times into recovery mode also.. no luck..

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 2, 2020

Hello im going through the exact thing. How long was the wait?? Im on 5 hours so far.. the lights going left to right (white line) ..

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 20, 2020

I'm having the same problem with my soundbar500, it's taken about an hour so far...

My issue began when I plugged in an xfinity xfi pod and the "advanced internet security" ensued...