lonewitness
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 22, 2019

CEC Issues with new TV (Nvidia Shield + LG OLED Setup)

Hi - I was running a pretty decent setup before with

Old Setup: LG EG920T TV + Nvidia Shield + Bose Soundbar 700

I recently upgraded the TV to LG OLED65C9PTA and am encountering a few issues.

1. The CEC power control has issues. While shutting down the Shield turns off the TV and the Soundbar but turning the Shield back on just turns on the TV, not the soundbar. I have tried Alternate CEC as well but does not work. For now I have resorted to turning CEC off.

2. CEC sound control does not work at all. I have setup the Shield to adjust volume using CEC but neither the normal or alternate CEC modes allow me to change the soundbar volume. Having to resort to using the soundbar remote for this.

3. Audio encoding issues. The TV is converting DD+ to Dolby Digital when playing Netflix but the soundbar is not playing the stream. I have to setup output to PCM from my TV to get any audio.

This is with eARC setup and a Belkin 48GBPs cable connecting the TV and the Shield.

Please help!

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
lonewitness
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Re: CEC Issues with new TV (Nvidia Shield + LG OLED Setup)

Hello Bose - Any help?

ThierryB
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Hi

Since you have no answer from Bose I will try to give you some inputs (Just my 2cents)

1. CEC / ARC is broken on soundbar 700 with a lot of TVs and it has gotten worse with the last firmware updates (esp on some LG TVs). ARC/CEC is not working anymore since firmware 5.0.12 for 2 months now for me (I have a LG C7). So someone with a C9 and NVidia Shield might be able to confirm if they have the same issue, but likely it is a firmware issue. Also your TV being eARC, and soundbar 700 being supposedly eARC as well, it might not work well in combination with HDMI/CEC. This could be partially the fault of LG as well which hasn't implemented eARC fully yet (and it's a bit hit & miss depending a device you connect together due to its novelty).  Normally eARC doesn't need CEC, but then if you combine a HDMI device using CEC you might have some funny thing going on...

2. Try to unplug everything wait for 5 mn, and plug everything back - But as per 1, you might not get it to work properly. So using the soundbar remote might be a good workaround.

3. Are you sure the TV is converting the signal to DD ? The LG C9 doesn't support uncompressed multichannel with eARC (LG has acknowledged the limitation - they haven't implemented fully eARC, and they have communicated it will come in H2 2020).

Since you get the sound in PCM it means it's working in Stereo. It could be linked to broken ARC as well with the soundbar 700. Did you try to connect the TV with an optical cable and activate the option to wake-up the soundbar on sound input, to see if you have the same problem ? If not that would confirm an issue with ARC/Handshake. If you don't have sound still, it could be that the TV is trying to pass through uncompressed mutichannel sound which can't go through currently (Check if you have another option to force DD in the TV/Nvidia Shield)

Goran65
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 10, 2019

On the Shield use Volume set to "fixed".

You can use the Bose remote "IR mode" to controll the Shield. Works great on my Shield 2015 Pro.

lonewitness
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 22, 2019

It is set as fixed.

You have the same TV?

Goran65
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 10, 2019

No I have a Philips  6609.