lightwave
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

May 23, 2019

Re: Can the Soundbar 700 and 500 be used in a multiroom audio echo setup?

So I am able to add the Bose Home Speaker 500 to a group, but agree, I dont really see much point if you still cannot play them all at the same time.  Definetly misleading in the firmware release notes.  Hopefully this feature will get added soon as I have been waiting 6 months since I was originally mislead when I purchased the speaker thinking it would already have this ability.

Hello DubCity, 

Thank you for reaching out today. Grouping speakers lets you simultaneously play the same content on speakers in the group. This is useful when coverage of a larger area is needed—like during a party, for example. The new update allows you to create a group of Bose Speakers and use voice control to play to the group via Alexa. This does not allow you to play to a third-party speaker, like an Amazon Alexa speaker (Dot/Echo/etc) at this time. 

To create a group using Alexa:

1. Open the Amazon Alexa app
  2. Go to the Devices section and Add a Device
  3. Follow the app instructions to add your Bose smart speaker to your Amazon account. You will also select a group while adding the device. (When prompted to select the brand of your speaker, choose Other.)
  4. Repeat the steps above with each speaker you want to add to a group.

If you have multiple speakers in your group, you can choose which one responds to your voice requests by making it your Preferred Speaker. By default, Alexa makes the first speaker you add to a group the Preferred speaker. However, you can change this at any time in the Alexa app by going to Devices > [select the group] > Preferred Speaker. Next to Setup, tap + and select a speaker.

I hope this information answers any queries anyone has. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

MitchW
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 26, 2019

So are you planning to make it where third party speakers (say an Alex device produced by Amazon) can work in the same group as the Bose speaker (say the sound bar 500 that I just bought thinking this would work)? If so, what is the planned release date for the feature?

I’m really surprised there is a group feature in the Alexa app that I can add Bose and Alexa Amazon devices to, but I can’t play them together. Quite disappointed actually as this was the driver for the purchase. If this isn’t planned, it will probably go back to the store.

vineet112233
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 3, 2019

According to the announcement made by Amazon last year and an explosion of blog posts explaining it "Amazon is also rolling out its multi-room audio feature to third-party hardware". Which mean now it should be possible for users to user multi-room feature in Bose Home Speaker 500 (which I own), Soundbar 700 and 50, pending upon the development of same by Bose as OEM.

Links:

Original Announcement by Amazon about opening multi-room feature to products with Alexa built-in:

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/c4bbbbaf-3559-4b5e-b920-83a9d594e732/alexa-play-rollin...

Amazon explaining about multi-room:

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/a9acaabd-d5a0-4fdf-b74a-c20cfe4d4ef9/deliver-whole-hom...

Post by Android Police reporting upon development:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/09/20/amazon-expands-multi-room-music-speaker-sync-third-party-ha...

Given above info, it'd be safe to say that this feature is no longer restricted from Amazon's side and requires further development by Bose.

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Don't hold your breath.

Selicafalls
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jul 4, 2019

This was very misleading in my decision what stereo system to buy for my new house. I will be returning $2000 worth of Bose speakers tomorrow. Let me know if you ever get this working. They sounded great.
Edd576
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 5, 2019

Any word on Bose and third part Alexa speakers (e.g. an Echo device) being able to be grouped for multi room audio?

This feature being missing is currently forcing me to look at non-Bose alternatives which I'd rather not do (since I like to Bose soundbar products)
Kbruns
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jul 7, 2019

Crickets.......does Bose even care to let us know if there is progress or not

Riznich
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 17, 2019

I ended up using a Echo Input connected through Bluetooth with the mic disabled to accomplish this. Only cost $20

Highlighted
Nmollanazar@icloud.com
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Sep 30, 2019

This is crazy. You advertise that you can play music through the whole house, all linked together. I’ve thrown out my boxes and spent over 1.7k on speakers. You all completely mislead me!!!