Connecting to a computer

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Connecting to a computer

Hello Bose team, just purchased the soundbar 700 and the sub with it.  Very impressed! Just one problem, I purchased this to use with my computer, not a TV and I'm having the hardest time ever connected it wired to my pc. I have the optical wire plugged in and its detected by the PC and not giving off any sound. Also, the HDMI cable connected from the soundbar to my computer (in different graphics cards AND the motherboard HDMI port) is not working either. Is it possible to connect it to my computer? What am I doing wrong? All my drivers are up to date, and please dont tell me the "go to the sounds menu and show disabled devices" etc, I'm very good with computers and its the first thing I did! Any help is appreciated, thank you so much!

10 REPLIES

Re: Connecting to a computer

Hi Doomsgate,

Thanks for writing in!

• Can you confirm what you're using as a display?  Is it a TV or a computer monitor?
  • If it's a TV, can we run the HDMI output of the PC to the TV and use the optical or ARC from the TV?
  • If not, the optical output should be recognized by the soundbar.  Can we make sure the output is set to 48khz and either Dolby Digital or DTS?
  • What is the source from the PC?  I know in VLC you have to select the output separately. 

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A - Community Support 

Quiet Contributor

• Can you confirm what you're using as a display?  Is it a TV or a computer monitor?
    • Computer monitor
  • If it's a TV, can we run the HDMI output of the PC to the TV and use the optical or ARC from the TV?
  • If not, the optical output should be recognized by the soundbar.  Can we make sure the output is set to 48khz and either Dolby Digital or DTS?
    • Set to 48khz, and both check marked for Dolby Digital AND DTS.
  • What is the source from the PC?  I know in VLC you have to select the output separately. 
    • Im trying to use Spotify to play music.

Hi Doomsgate,

Thanks for the reply!

Is it possible to to test a different source device with the optical cable to confirm where the issue is?  Can you let us know what you're using for a graphics/audio card?

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Quiet Contributor

I actually figured it out so all good with audio, still having a problem however with very loud static at low volumes. Im using an optical connection.

Hi Doomsgate,

Thank for the reply.

Have you tried more than one optical to see if the issue follows? Can you also try connecting your Soundbar to a TV and see if it continues to happen as well?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

Connected to a TV there is no static. I did the following steps to connect it to my desktop: Connect it to a TV, pair the remote with the TV, connect it to my computer, use the TV input on the remove and I guess it tricks it into thinking its connected to a TV. I use an ASUS monitor and was hoping I could connect the remote to an ASUS device but remote doesn't pick up any ASUS devices.

On an unrelated note, is there a way to adjust the volume of alexa through the speaker? When im blasting music and need to use alexa I dont need her to talk to me at the volume of an earthquake.

Quiet Contributor

Really hoping for some help with both of these issues.

Hi Doomsgate,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Since we know the Soundbar 700 works when connected to source device without issue, we need to take a closer look at your audio card on your computer.

Can you provide the make and model of your audio card so we can investigate a bit more to see if there are any other settings we can recommend?

Kind Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Quiet Contributor

Since this reply I just bought a new video card, heres the link : https://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-audigy-rx

I have all drivers updated. I think the audio is better, and theres less static I THINK. However I dont think there should be any.. Maybe im wrong?