Scarbd
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 4, 2019

Data Usage on soundbar 700

What, if anything, is the soundbar 700 using large amounts of internet bandwidth when I only use is as a TV speaker? I really like the sound, but I was looking at my home network usage, and the soundbar 700 is using 10 GB of data a month. Since I haven't been using it for streaming, I can't imagine what it would be using all that data for. This behavior seems strange, and I'd appreciate any insight you can provide on this.

6 REPLIES 6
Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Re: Data Usage on soundbar 700

I don't think it uses any internet data except to check for firmware updates and download those updates.  That's certainly not 10 GB per month.

Community Manager

Re: Data Usage on sounder 700

Hey Scarbd,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for your message.

The Soundbar 700 will check nightly for any available firmware updates. In addition to this, should you have any third-party music services enabled like Spotify via the Bose Music application these may also increase the amount of data used by the system. 

Through the course of day and night the system does also complete service and system health checks remotely, but this shouldn't really be too high in terms of data usage. How are you calculating this usage, are you able to provide images of this consumption? 

Naturally, for security and privacy, this can be a hard thing to discuss with personal information being displayed in a Community forum environment - you may feel more comfortable sharing this information with us directly by reaching out to support in your region via our website HERE, or alternatively message us via Twitter or Facebook to take a closer look. As always, however, we're happy to help in any capacity we can here on the forums.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest,

Andy B - Community Support

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

He said he hasn't been using it for streaming.

Scarbd
Silent Starter
Registered since

Aug 4, 2019

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply. The screen shot below is the data usage for the Soundbar 700 from the last 24 hours. I have only used it for listening to TV audio during that period of time, so the data usage, especially Spotify, is a bit odd. Any insight into what could be going on is appreciated. 

Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 9.02.30 PM.png

Xyz987
Gabby Guru
Registered since

Oct 18, 2017

Well, somebody's streaming Spotify.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey Scarbd,

Apologies for the delayed response - I've forwarded this to our development team. 

Would you be able to advise me the exact date/time that this capture was taken? Would you also mind telling us what router make/model and firmware version you're running? Additionally, since your last post, have there been any developments on your end?

We look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest,

Andy B