Paperhunter2000@gmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Re: any update?

I've come to the conclusion it's currently TV dependent whether it works or not and most likely soundbar firmware. I have two Sony TV's, the F900 75" works like a charm with ARC. The XBR 65" does not and I resorted to optical for consistent sound output.

I also would like Bose to finally fix this issue and quit avoiding the vast amount of people affected. There is no excuse when other manufacturers have solved this problem. 
Henk12
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

hi Paperhunter2000@gmail.com,
Bose rolled out a new firmware 7.0.10 unannounced. maybe the problem is now solved with your XBR 65"?...

jansenruud
Participant
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

jansenruud
Participant
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

Where did you see firmware 7.0.10. When using the app it is not updating from 6.0.15. Can I download it somewhere? 

Henk12
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jun 11, 2019

Hi jansenruud,

firmware (7.0.10-7792+a61b1bae4) on 23 Jan 2020, the soundbar 700 automatic update in the night.

greetings from Holland.

prasannasuresh
Participant
Registered since

Jan 23, 2020

Re: HDMI ARC Soundbar reports

For some reason I started seeing this issue for past two-three days. My soundbar is not playing sound when connected to TV. I have Samsung TV. It was all fine till day before yesterday. I checked now and my firmware is already updated 7.0.10. I am not sure if update got pushed to my device quite early. 

I tried resetting and tried all non sense and it doesn't seem to work. Also, the soundbar works fine when playing via mobile or tablets. This is really crap from Bose to not fix a problem that's being persistent for years. And you broke something that was working fine for long time. 

jansenruud
Participant
Registered since

Jan 1, 2020

Dear Henk, 

Still no update to 7.010 at 24th. 

sumanthdaggubati
Participant
Registered since

Jan 29, 2020

I am in the same boat as you. Using a samsung TV as well and my sound stopped working completely after the update 

Paperhunter2000@gmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Nov 17, 2019

Why does Bose's  HDMI ARC implementation work for some and not all TV's ?, Its tv dependent. One of my Sony's works consistently (year 2018 model x900) and the other Sony (year 2015 model xbr55) does not. For the latter just use optical and save your frustrations. It would be great if Bose can fix the problem but I've lost hope after all this time. At least they could publish an interoperability matrix for tested TV's utilizing their version of HDMI ARC.

VertigoMitch
Contributor
Registered since

Jun 12, 2019

Paperhunter2000@gmail.com wrote:

Why does Bose's  HDMI ARC implementation work for some and not all TV's ?, Its tv dependent. One of my Sony's works consistently (year 2018 model x900) and the other Sony (year 2015 model xbr55) does not. For the latter just use optical and save your frustrations. It would be great if Bose can fix the problem but I've lost hope after all this time. At least they could publish an interoperability matrix for tested TV's utilizing their version of HDMI ARC.

The problem is not with HDMI ARC or HDMI e-ARC, the problem is with HDMI-CEC. HDMI ARC is standardised. Many TVs rely on HDMI CEC to turn on the HDMI ARC functionality and you should be able to override this. In the case of my Sony TV, I was able to turn off HDMI CEC and then turn on HDMI e-ARC which let the soundbar receive audio, but I had to control the two separate. However, when Bose addresses the HDMI CEC issue, I have not had to do this ever since.

The problem with HDMI CEC is every TV manufacturer has their own version, and the main reason is that they all manufacture their own audio equipment or something which is not implemented correctly so it ends up breaking proper support. My friend now owns a Bose Soundbar 500 which had the exact same issue where once the TV was turned off and back on, the two would not talk to each other. He found it was the Amazon Fire TV Cube causing the compatibility problem even if you went into the settings and turned off HDMI CEC on the Fire OS. He since switched to a Fire TV Stick 4K which has resolved the problem, but the only other resolution would have been to switch off HDMI CEC on the TV and if HDMI ARC stopped working, use optical.

HDMI ARC and optical are identical in the signal, the only difference is HDMI ARC includes HDMI CEC allowing the TV to turn the soundbar on and off and control the volume.

If you want to check if something is clashing in your system, it's pretty simple.

Disconnect everything from the power for 60 seconds. This wipes the HDMI CEC memory from all devices. Switch on the Bose Soundbar 500/700 and wait for it to start up. Then, switch on only one device such as your cable or satellite box and wait for it to power up. Finally, plug in your TV and switch it on. If you find it works across a few days, repeat this but instead work with two devices until you find a device which is clashing. From here, you will either need to find a way to switch off HDMI CEC on that particular device or perhaps a replacement for it.