Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

Home Speaker 300 Turns Itself Off

My Home Speaker 300 turns off after even a moderately short period of inactivity. I assume there's an auto-off setting somewhere. Is it possible to disable this "feature" because it makes the speaker useless for my purposes?

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted

Re: Home Speaker 300 Turns Itself Off

Hello,

Welcome to the community.

I would love to do what I can to help. Does this occur whilst your listening to music or whilst your speaker is on standby?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

Thanks, that would be wonderful. It happens only when the speaker is standing by for input. I've never had it turn off during use. But after a surprisingly short time of inactivity, I always have to turn the speaker back on manually and select the proper input. Not a good system at all.

Best,

Rip

Highlighted

Thanks for letting us know that Rip!

The speaker does have an auto-off timer that will put it into standby mode after 20 minutes of inactivity. Is this roughly how long you have noticed it takes with your speaker?

There isn't any way to disable this feature though, but there may be an easier way to start it playing again that you can use. What source have you been playing with the speaker most of the time, and how do you start it playing after it turns off?

New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

Wow, that's super disappointing. Yes, 20 minutes sounds about right. My experience has been that I have to tap the power button and then tap the Aux button. I'm using the speaker with my desktop computer. I'd much prefer if it could sense input and wake itself up automatically. If not, then I'll have to ditch this speaker and look for a better option. Separately, I would prefer to connect the speaker by Bluetooth, but I've never managed to make the speaker show up as an available device for connecting manually to my computer. So far, quite a frustrating user experience.

Thanks,

Rip

Highlighted

Thanks for the feedback on this Cville Streamer, 

In regards to the auto-detecting of the source, this isn't a feature for this speaker. It's very strange to hear that you aren't able to use the speaker via Bluetooth. 

Have you followed this setup guide here for how to set up your speaker? 

If you still are unable to see the speaker via Bluetooth after this please do let us know.

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

I'll give bluetooth another try. Does this mean there's no way to make the speaker stay on or turn back on more easily than what I'm doing?

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

I'd also note that the link you provided is simply the unboxing and initial setup video. It provided no guidance whatsoever about bluetooth setup. I'll try again, but it won't matter if the speaker turns itself off after 20 minutes of inactivity. In my opinion, that is a fatal flaw that should be addressed by a firmware update that either allows users to select the auto-off period or that keeps the speaker active until it is turned off by the user.

Highlighted

@Cville Streamer Here's a great guide to help you connect via Bluetooth - Connecting a Bluetooth® device.

We appreciate your feedback in regards to the inactivity timer. I'll certainly pass this along.

Let's say you want to stream audio from your Bluetooth device and the speaker is in standby mode, you don't need to physically turn the speaker on. Low Bluetooth Energy allows you to select the speaker from your Bluetooth device to initiate playback, as long as the device is paired previously. As with other connection methods such as AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, and through the Bose Music app, you select the speaker from your device and playback will automatically start without physically touching the speaker. 

I hope this clears things up a little and better's your experience.

Let me know if you have any further questions. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Jul 1, 2020

Thanks, I tried again with Bluetooth and the speaker is now paired with my computer. The problem, of course, is that when the speaker goes into standby mode, it disconnects from the computer. I see how selecting it each time causes it to reconnect with the previously paired device. But that process is quite tedious compared to speakers that stay connected and just work. Unfortunately, I'll be purchasing something else to replace this speaker, and this experience makes it much less likely that I'll choose a Bose product this time. Thanks, however, for being responsive to my concerns. The 300 has good sound, it's just too bad that it doesn't work at all well for this use case. It would be so easy to fix the problem with a setting to turn off the standby "feature".