Tinkerer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2019

Home Speaker 300 setup will not connect with Alexa

I just received my Home Speaker 300 today and have managed to get everything setup and connected except the voice assistant (which is my main reason for buying the speaker). I go to settings>Voice Assistant>Alexa Set it up>Get Started>Sign In With Amazon, and it goes to a blue spinning circle and never stops, never goes past that screen. I have an amazon account and I have Alexa on the device I'm using to setup the speaker (Samsung Note 8). Are there any other prerequisites I'm missing? This is proving to be very frustrating and may result in the return of the product.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6MxHqflAFs/?igshid=n5xfa1qjefc8

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Home Speaker 300 setup will not connect with Alexa

Author Accepted Answer selected by Tinkerer

Hi Tinkerer,

Thank you for trying that and letting us know.

When trying to add Alexa and music services, the app does use the phone's browser to access the login pages. So the fact these options aren't available either would suggest that it is trouble accessing this that is causing the issue. 

What I would recommend we do next, is uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone. Just in case there was an issue with the installation or a permission on the original install.

Another thing that would be worth trying if we can, is using the app on another device to finish the setup for these extra features as well.

Let us know how we get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted

Hello Tinkerer, 

Thanks for reaching out to the community. I am sorry that you are experiencing issues with adding Alexa to your Home Speaker 300. 

So that I can assist you with this matter further. Can you please firstly confirm your country of residence?

Do let us know, we would love to get this resolved for you. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Tinkerer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2019

I live in the United States.

Highlighted

Hi Tinkerer, 

Thank you for confirming this. I asked for your country of residence so that I could ensure that our Voice Assistants are available in your region. If any other readers are unsure of Alexa and Google Assistant availability with Bose products within your region, please look at this link.

What I would firstly suggest is that you perform a software update of your Home Speaker 300 to ensure that this is up to date. You can perform a manual update of your speaker by the following instructions. 

Following this, I would also suggest that you ensure your Bose Music app and Alexa apps are up to date on your mobile device. 

Please let us know how you get on. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M 

Highlighted
Tinkerer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2019

I performed the manual update.  Both the Bose Music app and Alexa are up to date.  After the update, the Bose Music app could no longer find the product, so I did a factory update, re-setup the speaker and did the update again.  It still will not connect to Alexa and one thing I didn't previously realize was relevant was that I also cannot setup a music service.  When going through setup and attempting to setup a music app, all it will do is make an audible blip when touching the desired app (any of them), but it will not go to a login page for that either.

Highlighted

Author Accepted Answer selected by Tinkerer

Hi Tinkerer,

Thank you for trying that and letting us know.

When trying to add Alexa and music services, the app does use the phone's browser to access the login pages. So the fact these options aren't available either would suggest that it is trouble accessing this that is causing the issue. 

What I would recommend we do next, is uninstall and reinstall the app on your phone. Just in case there was an issue with the installation or a permission on the original install.

Another thing that would be worth trying if we can, is using the app on another device to finish the setup for these extra features as well.

Let us know how we get on.

Kind Regards,

Keith L 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Tinkerer
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 17, 2019

That the app was trying to open a browser was the key information I needed.  Thank you. I still couldn't complete setup on my phone, but was able to finish using my tablet with a stylus (It wouldn't work without the stylus for some odd reason).  Anyway, I've completed the setup thanks to your suggestions.

Thanks very much!

Highlighted

Hello Tinkerer,

I'm glad to hear that we've been able to successfully complete the setup! I'm always happy to help.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,

Keith