Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MiketheD
Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

Home Speaker 500 and wake word

We just bought the Home Speaker 500 and am very happy with the sound.  I have tried to change the wake word from "Alexa: and no joy.  I just read in a discussion forum elsewhere that Bose has no plans to allow a change of the wake word and that it is not possible on their speaker.  Is that correct and if so is there a reason why? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Jessie_O

Re: Home Speaker 500 and wake word

Bose Best Answer selected by Community Manager Keith_L

Hi Yipster222, 

Thank you for reaching out to us! 

I have marked this thread as a feature request so the team can view this. We are unable to change the Alexa wake word on our systems at this time. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out again! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
Sam_F

Hi Mike,

I'm glad to hear you're loving the Home Speaker 500! In regards to the wake word, this will depend on the connected voice assistant. In your case, this will be Alexa. Can I ask how you're planning to use the wake word? Is this for turning the system on or simply playing music using the connected voice assistant?

Also, there is an option to connect Google assistant if you'd like to change the voice assistant being used. Let me know if you have any other questions regarding your system!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
MiketheD
Participant
Registered since

Apr 20, 2020

Thanks for the response.  We use the Echo pretty much exclusively.  We use it with the Bose to do everting possible: play music from phones, Amazon music, etc.  While not expressly stated, I am assuming that my assumption is correct: that we cannot change the wake word on the Bose from "Alexa".  I can live with that.  The ability to only execute the wake word command on the nearest device allowed us to alter words so that we eliminate any wake word confusion.  Great speaker.  Wife lives the small size and the great sound.  

Yipster222
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2020

Hello,

my daughter name is Alexa before Amazon named their voice assistant to Alexa.

I would like to change the wake word to echo instead of calling Alexa play this I can speak echo play this.  Better yet change it to BOSE.

how can we change or rename the wake word ?

Jessie_O

Bose Best Answer selected by Community Manager Keith_L

Hi Yipster222, 

Thank you for reaching out to us! 

I have marked this thread as a feature request so the team can view this. We are unable to change the Alexa wake word on our systems at this time. 

If there is anything else we can do, please reach out again! 

View solution in original post

Yipster222
Contributor
Registered since

Sep 28, 2020

Please make this feature change or upgrade.

I have other Amazon Alexa devices that we changed the wake word.  I rather call the device name Bose play this song.

Great for marketing too!

topcat1952
Participant
Registered since

Dec 1, 2020

Add me to a new purchaser who is frustrated that I cannot change the "Wake Word" on my Bose 500 I just received through Amazon. I prefer the word "Computer" that I had on my Echo Dot. Thanks

Al1216
Participant
Registered since

Dec 3, 2020

Would really appreciate this being added as a feature! Unfortunately for me in being called Alexis, I have no choice but to disable Alexa on the home speaker 500 which is silly since this was purchased as a replacement to my echo dot!

Great speaker otherwise!

cloude
Participant
Registered since

Dec 14, 2020

Hello, I’m another user with the same feature request. We have a family member named Alexa and it’s really annoying to have the virtual Alexa pop into our conversations all the time. Love the product, but it seems like this would be a simple fix.

Thanks.

xben9x
Participant
Registered since

Dec 26, 2020

Yup add me to the request list for this feature. I also don’t understand why the Bose speakers can’t join the other Echo speaker groups I have to play throughout the home. So I am forced to buy more Bose?