Orpheus
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

Re: Home Speaker 500 not connecting to app

I am having the same issue with my brand new Soundbar 500. Couldn't even finish the initial setup. After the firmware update the app didn't find the SoundBar anymore.

Did a reset and restarted the setup - no problem until I selected the Sharing option (doesn't matter which one). After that the app shortly showed some next step and then went into error mode - system not found. Tried it several more times, did a reset on the router, switch, soundbar, tablet, phone, reinstalled the app, manually reloaded the FW. No improvement.

My other SoundTouch devices are not showing any of these troubles when cross checking. The SoundBar shows up in the DHCP and WLAN client list with a valid IP.

When I open the IP in a browser only a "404  - not found" text appears (with a Bose logo in the Tab), the SoundTouch devices at least show a simple splash page.

My next/last attempt was to try a wired connection (and i found that recommendation here as well) - strange enough, that worked right away. I was able to finalize the setup and Adaptiq calibration (which was the main thing i wanted as i will use it as a Soundbar mainly/only), but that took several attempts including power down 30 seconds as well...

Finally I started playing a song on spotify and put it on a preset. When I removed the network cable the app immediately lost connection, but the music recovered after a couple seconds. I have tried it once again to ensure it wasn't somewhat cached, and it really is working. The downlink is perfectly fine and playing spotify without any issues, the upling to the app does not work at all... I really don't know what is wrong there. (my semi-pro access point is showing a stable connection 30db and high transfer rate 300-500mbps to the soundbar)

Community Manager

Hi Orpheus,

Thanks for writing in and the troubleshooting you've done so far!  Can you provide us the make/model of your router and any other access points in the network to see if we can identify the the root cause of the issue.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

Orpheus
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

Hi Tony,

the access point is an Aruba IAP-305

the router is a tp-link TL-SG1008P

The distance between the access point and the Soundbar, Soundtouch, Tablet and Phone is about 15ft. and similar direction.

For the wired connection I used a 25ft. cat5e cable.

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hi Orpheus,

Thanks for the information.  I'm going to ask a few colleagues about this and get back to you once I hear something.  Also, when the system was hardwired, was this directly to the router or to a switch?

Warm Regards,

Tony A

Orpheus
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

Hi,

yes that's what I actually meant - the TP-Link is a GBe switch.

The Wireless Access point connects to it, so was the sound bar when hardwired.

One port of the switch is leading then to the actual WAN router.

Community Manager

Hi Orpheus,

Thanks for the update, that definitely helps!  We've seen in some cases with Aruba products, there are additional layers of security and ports being blocked which could result in system detection issues.  I've reached out to our development team to see if I can acquire a list of ports that the system and app  uses for communication.  Please standby while we look into this.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

opryde
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 27, 2018

hi,

since there has been no update in 3 weeks now and i'm stuck with the same problem (router: generic UPC (ubee) at 2,4ghz) i'll ask for a solution to this problem, too, since i can use the speaker only with bluetooth now and that's not why i've got it. if this is'nt fixed soon, i'm going to return it.

best regards,

opryde

im7778
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 3, 2018

hi all,

i previously post my issue back a few weeks ago where I can't connect to my Bose Soundbar 500. And by chance, i had to change my Internet provider and thus changing my Asus RT-AC88U router setup to a access point (AP). Doing this, automatically change my wireless setup where previously i had 2.4GHz and 5GHz and thus two SSIDs. With the new setup as AP, there is now only 1 SSID which Asus has a feature call "Smart Connect" and this will automatically decide best what GHz to connect the device to. Since the new setup, I had no issue using the Bose Music to connect to the soundbar. However, i feel this problem still lies with Bose as i don't have any other issue except with the Bose soundbar.

I hope my feedback help others.

DoubleB
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 30, 2018

I’m having the same exact problem. It’s frustrating! If I unplug the soundbar and plug it back in, the app will find it and it sees it for a few hours but then I lose it again. I’m ready to return this thing. It’s a huge inconvenience that the only way you can adjust the bass, treble and center volume is through the app and it obviously has connectivity problems! Cmon bose, fix this. #shouldaboughtsonos
Community Manager

Hi DoubleB,

Thanks for writing in!  

• Can you confirm what's the make/model of your router?
  • How far away is the speaker from the router?
  • Have you been able to reboot your router by disconnecting power?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A