Highlighted
hurvineck
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 1, 2019

Re: Home Speaker 500 not connecting to app

Hi all,

I have the same problem. I cannot even connect my Home Speaker 500 to the app, before anything else. I've tried several times, installed the app again and again and rebootet the speaker again and again. I am tired of this and I am going to send the device back, because it is an expensive device and I do not want to spend my time making things work that should have worked anyway. It is a shame and I am not going to buy another Bose product.

Highlighted

Hi Hurvineck, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. I understand your frustrations and I am very sorry to hear that you are having issues with connection your Home Speaker 500, however I would love to help.  I would recommend connecting to the speaker via Bluetooth first to establish a connection between the device and the speaker, once done please try going into the app and connecting the speaker. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
wertyuiop
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

Yesterday was my, probably, fourth Bose 500 which I exchanged. The same problem - connection. But I decided to keep it because ... First, as a professional composer  I like the sound very much. It is good sound and size for my work in my studio.  The second reason, as a human being, I keep because I got very good deal for it (182$). But I had very bad time because of connection - every morning I need to restart it (Bose and phone), then I found easier way - disable Wi-Fi and then go back. Anyway - it time. I understand people who payed for this almost half of thousand dollars - terrible! Also, I recommend Bose engineers to provide a remote control which could be placed by the speaker. It will be more convenient to adjust volume and turn it off mode. Otherwise, night time  for request "Alexa, turn off device".  she is yelliing: - OK.

Forgot about Alexa. My last exchange of Bose was because something did happen with Alexa. Suddenly, after factory reset (I did it because of bad connection) she stopped to perform common commands like "Alexa, louder or Turn off". Alexa App's customer service was increadably bad (Chat) - slow and not professional. Also, I was not very satisfied with Bose Customer support - difficult to find on their site, but I found it on Facebook.  And very last moment, again for engineers. I am not very young guy my eyes are not very good and I am recommend that you could think about it. Maybe, different color of symbols, or do something that fingers could find them. But I still do love Bose! Good luck

Highlighted
Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Mar 27, 2019

Hello Wertyuiop,

We thank you very much for your review, we appreciate all your feedback and we will use this to continue to improve and develop our products.

Have a wonderful day! 

Kind Regards, 
Prince_O 

Highlighted
jace666
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Apr 7, 2019

Wish I could help,but I've had mine for 4 weeks still nothing,I managed to get it named to kitchen after I changed wifi.but still says not available ,it's right next to device... bull**bleep** mind you I don't really want to speak to my speaker😉
wertyuiop
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jan 24, 2019

I exchanged my previous one and at list Alexa started to work, but connection still has many questions. Somebody from Customer support wrote that it probably because of Arris wifi router. Also, he wrote that (not confident) Bose wanted to contact with Arris regarding this problem
Highlighted

Hi Jace666, 

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with setting up your Home Speaker 500. Please see the following link for information that may assist in resolving the issue.

Some additional things to take into consideration: 

- Sometimes a simple reboot of the router may resolve the issue.

- Restoring the factory settings of the speaker can also prove useful. To do this, simultaneously press and hold the Volume - and AUX buttons for 10 seconds.

- If you are using a dual band router, determine if the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands are joined/have the same name. It may be worth splitting the bands before performing the setup. 

- Disable any wireless isolation mode, wireless AP mode or access point mode settings on the router. These can prevent communications between devices within the home network. 

- If your ISP is in the list below, ensure you disable the ISP's web address redirecting service: 

• TimeWarner
  • CenturyLink / CenturyTel / Qwest
  • Charter
  • Midcontinent Communications
  • Frontier Communications
  • SuddenLink
  • Mediacom
  • Cablevision / Optimum Online

- If you are using a network extender, repeater powerline adapter, or access point, try bypassing it. 

I hope this helps! 

Kind regards

Jeff G

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Peakibooo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 9, 2019

I am having the same issue. Like you I am only feet away from my modem.  It won’t work on any of my devices, also says device unavailable.  Alexa works fine but no iPad/iPhone access. I have rebooted the devices, uninstalled the app.  I have 2 days left for it to go back to Best Buy. I think I’m done fighting with this. The first one we bought was defective and now this one won’t connect. I want a device that’s easy, not one I am going to fight with to use

Highlighted

Hi Peakibooo, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your Home Speaker 500, however I would love to help. 

I appreciate the troubleshooting steps that you have already taken, can you please confirm that you have also attempted all other troubleshooting methods in the thread. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Highlighted
Peakibooo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 9, 2019

Yes, and my router is by Telus and is about 10 feet from it.  It works fine via Alexa, but no app acknowledgement.  I thought perhaps it needed an update but the app can’t see it to do that.  It will not connect via Bluetooth in settings either. I’m at a loss and I really want to love it. My first one was faulty (different issue). Now this one, but by reading the thread it is a common issue at the moment that I hope we can all get a fix for