Pourpete
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 21, 2017

Re: Home Speaker 500 not connecting to app

Thank you so much for posting this work around! It works and is simple, quick and relatively painless.

My Smart Home 500 speaker is typical Bose, great sound and design. Unfortunately, app is awful.  It seems to work for a day or two, then shows the speaker as not available. When working I really love the speaker, and the Alexa support.

A basic feature missing from the Bose Music  app is the ability to mix/shuffle songs from an Amazon Music playlist.  It's available from Alexa and the Amazon Music app, but not Bose Music.

The quality issues and lack of features...great speaker, mediocre app.

BTW, a loyal Bose customer of 20+ years, multiple home theater systems, Soundwaves, speakers and headphones.

s09s
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Oct 16, 2019

Agree on the sound quality - its great! I just bought my third smart speaker in-spite of the app issues. That said, it is astounding how bad the app and the support system for it is. Ugh!

Pourpete
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Apr 21, 2017

You are so right about the sound quality. I am considering replacing the Amazon Echos in my home with the Home Speaker 500. As you say, in spite of the terrible app.

For the past few days I have been playing music on the 500 in my bedroom as background. Even though I may be watching tv in another room, it just feels good to have such rich-sounding music elsewhere in my home.

Bose makes such amazing sounding equipment, but it's software is woefully inadequate.

Majessa
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 10, 2019

After combing through all the responses to no avail, I called support before returning the speaker and it’s a simple fix. Press and hold the AUX and Play/pause buttons on the speaker for 5 seconds. It will go into setup mode, do an update if needed, and set without incident. 

Cdbraid@gmail.com
Silent Starter
Registered since

Jan 14, 2020