Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2019

Home Speaker 500 subnet limitations

Hello,

Couldn't find any information about my issue, so decided to post this.

I am setting up separate Wi-Fi network using VLAN for IoT devices, which includes Home Speaker 500. I use Ubiquiti network gear.

My speaker, along with printer and other devices are located on 192.168.30.0/24. My main network is 192.168.10.0/24.

The problem is that Speaker is unreachable from main network. Other devices work perfectly: printer, Apple TV, smart camera, etc.

With the speaker I can't even ping it from main network. And so doesn't work Bose Music application and AirPlay. If I connect to IoT network, I can ping it, locate it in the app and use AirPlay.

Does Home Speaker 500 has some kind of internal firewall to refuse connections from different subnet? It looks like it has. And is it necessary to have such a rule? It is a limiting factor in an IoT world.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Mar 4, 2020

Re: Home Speaker 500 subnet limitations

See this post

Bose has crippled these devices because they think it's going to solve a problem only they created. They don't seem to understand that allowing private subnets won't practically affect security any more than having any kind of server operating on the device (it has a HTTP-based REST API, which has been previously hacked).

People are upset. They can't seem to get software, apps and network security right. Classic case of digital disruption leaving a former heavyweight in audio in the dust.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Dec 28, 2019

Thank you. I thought I am alone, but seems there are more people struggling with subnets. 

And it is funny. Speakers have known bugs that can lead to hack, and Bose forces us to put them on main network with most important devices. 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Aug 13, 2020

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but an mDNS repeater and SNAT masquerade rule in EdgeMAX  worked for my Soundbar 500 in a similarly isolated setup. (See my reply to the thread linked above.)

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 8, 2020

Do bose ever actually read these posts and is there somewhere we can make this feature request?  Seems like so many people here want this, iot vlans are so common now with multiple ssid wifi, Time they fix it, or put it back how it was.