Leigh berry
Participant
Registered since

May 22, 2020

Home speaker 500 Alexa music

I've recently purchased a home speaker 500 and have an issue where it is unable to play any music through Alexa commands. I have successfully connected my Amazon account to the voice assistant, and the speaker shows up within my Alexa app. All other Alexa commands work correctly with my connected devices but if I ask Alexa to play music , the speaker tells me I need to enable the Alexa skill then search for devices. 

I've tried removing the alexa account from the Bose app, removing the speaker from the Alexa app.and powering off to reset before adding my account back in.

Very frustrating issue from what is an otherwise great speaker. Sadly if I'm unable to resolve, I will be returning the speaker for a refund as it's not providing the full functionality I was expecting 

Thanks 

Leigh

13 REPLIES 13
Jessie_O

Re: Home speaker 500 Alexa music

Hi Leigh, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you seem to be experiencing with your Home Speaker 500 and connecting Alexa. I'll be happy to help! 

I would recommend heading to the Alexa app and enabling the Bose Skill. Type in 'Bose' in the search bar and you want the Bose skill which is 'Not for SoundTouch'. 

Once complete, try reconnecting and using Alexa. 

Let me know how it goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Leigh berry
Participant
Registered since

May 22, 2020

thanks , I should have mentioned in my first post that the Bose Alexa skill is already enabled in the Alexa app. I've also tried disabling, and re-enabling the skill as part of the process

The speaker works with other Alexa commands such as turning lights/Tv on and off, but asks for the skill to be installed when I tell it to play music . I don't understand it as the Alexa skill is obviously working for other commands.

My Amazon music account (premium) is the primary music account on my Alexa app.

Jessie_O

Thank you for confirming this Leigh berry.

At this point, I would recommend an Alexa cleanse. To do this, remove your Alexa voice assistant from the Bose Music application. Once complete, go into the Alexa app and disable the Bose skill and remove the Bose speaker. Then search for the speaker in the Alexa app and connect it. Then go back to the Bose app and re-add your Alexa voice assistant. 

Let me know how you get on!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Bucko67
Participant
Registered since

Jul 19, 2020

home speaker 500 problem

Have a problem with my new Home speaker 500.

Set it up through Bose music app and Amazon Alexa.

It does everything apart from when I ask Alexa to play music. She keeps saying "in order to do that you need to enable the skill in the Amazon Alexa app and ask me to search for devices" . The skill is enabled and the speaker on the account etc etc. If I ask Alexa a question like the weather she works fine, its just when I ask her to play music. I wiped the speaker and put it back to factory settings and then reloaded the apps and reset the speaker and still the same. Any ideas??

Paulo85
Participant
Registered since

Feb 10, 2021

Re: home speaker 500 problem

Same here, this is my second Home Speaker 500 system, the first I set up very easily and it worked perfectly without the use of the Alexa app. The second one experiences the very same problem as above

Vicky_W

@Paulo85, welcome to the community. I am sorry to hear this. Have you tried the troubleshooting mentioned in this thread at all? If not, that would be a great place to start. If you have, can you please confirm you are using the same Bose Music account and same Alexa account on both speakers? 

Paulo85
Participant
Registered since

Feb 10, 2021

Hi Vicky

Thanks for the reply, as far as I am aware I am using the same Bose account. The first speaker did not require an Alexa app/account, it just worked!! The second experienced the same problems as above so I downloaded the Alexa app and added bot speakers and tried to add skills but still no joy. I have followed the above and. reset the speaker back to factory settings but still the same. Why is it different to the first speaker, it worked straight out of the box without the complexity of needing the Alexa app at all. What do you suggest?

Paulo85
Participant
Registered since

Feb 10, 2021

@Vicky_W the above response was for you

Hector_B

Thanks for updating us on this Paulo85. 

Have you attempted to set the speaker up with another device at all? We also have a great list of further troubleshooting steps you can follow here.

Please double check to ensure that your email for your Bose account and Amazon account are the same. 

We look forward to hearing back from you with the result of these steps.