Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 22, 2020

Home speaker 500 Alexa music

I've recently purchased a home speaker 500 and have an issue where it is unable to play any music through Alexa commands. I have successfully connected my Amazon account to the voice assistant, and the speaker shows up within my Alexa app. All other Alexa commands work correctly with my connected devices but if I ask Alexa to play music , the speaker tells me I need to enable the Alexa skill then search for devices. 

I've tried removing the alexa account from the Bose app, removing the speaker from the Alexa app.and powering off to reset before adding my account back in.

Very frustrating issue from what is an otherwise great speaker. Sadly if I'm unable to resolve, I will be returning the speaker for a refund as it's not providing the full functionality I was expecting 

Thanks 

Leigh

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Home speaker 500 Alexa music

Hi Leigh, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome to the Bose Community!

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you seem to be experiencing with your Home Speaker 500 and connecting Alexa. I'll be happy to help! 

I would recommend heading to the Alexa app and enabling the Bose Skill. Type in 'Bose' in the search bar and you want the Bose skill which is 'Not for SoundTouch'. 

Once complete, try reconnecting and using Alexa. 

Let me know how it goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Silent Starter
Registered since

May 22, 2020

thanks , I should have mentioned in my first post that the Bose Alexa skill is already enabled in the Alexa app. I've also tried disabling, and re-enabling the skill as part of the process

The speaker works with other Alexa commands such as turning lights/Tv on and off, but asks for the skill to be installed when I tell it to play music . I don't understand it as the Alexa skill is obviously working for other commands.

My Amazon music account (premium) is the primary music account on my Alexa app.

Highlighted

Thank you for confirming this Leigh berry.

At this point, I would recommend an Alexa cleanse. To do this, remove your Alexa voice assistant from the Bose Music application. Once complete, go into the Alexa app and disable the Bose skill and remove the Bose speaker. Then search for the speaker in the Alexa app and connect it. Then go back to the Bose app and re-add your Alexa voice assistant. 

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.