Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sebastian29
Participant
Registered since

Dec 19, 2020

Home speaker 500 slow music actions

Hi everybody.

I bought a home speaker 500 six months ago and it was working flawlessly. However, two weeks ago music actions such as next, previous, pause, start playing music in spotify... are really slow. It takes up to 5 to 7 seconds to complete any of those.

What is worse is that tunein is impossible to use, as it never reproduces any radio station.

I have tried factory resetting (aux and vol -) the speaker but it is still having the same issue.

Voice commands with Alexa are working fine.

Not sure if it has to do with the firmware version I have: 10.0.10-9304+6a8d444, but no updates pop up in the Bose music app.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Home speaker 500 slow music actions

Author Accepted Answer selected by Sebastian29

Thanks for trying that and letting us know Sebastian 29!

It's interesting that the audio controls are still slow when using another account as well. Because of this, it does suggest that something in the network is stopping the apps and mobile devices from communicating with the speaker correctly and slowing down the commands. As this problem with streaming music started recently, have you made any changes to your network recently, like getting a new router, or Wi-Fi extenders? 

It would be worth checking the settings on your router against our recommended router settings HERE to make sure your network is optimized for the speaker. If you are unsure about changing settings on your router, then your internet service provider or router manufacturer will be able to help you do this.

It would also be worth checking for possible sources of wireless interference near your speaker that could be causing issues communicating with the speaker. If your speaker is close to other wireless devices, or large amounts of metal they can interfere with wireless signals to the speaker. Try moving the speaker to another location away from any other wireless devices and see if you still have the slow response time when controlling the speaker.

Let me know how this goes!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Charlotte_G

Hey @Sebastian29, welcome to the Bose Community!

I hope you have been enjoying your Home Speaker 500 so far. I am sorry to hear that some of the commands are slow to act. 

Performing a factory reset is a really great place to start. Next, I would recommend performing a power reset. This can be done by removing the power cable for 30 seconds which will correct any minor processor errors.

Let me know the outcome of this.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Sebastian29
Participant
Registered since

Dec 19, 2020

Hi @Charlotte_G 

Thank you for your response. I just tried that but the issue persists.

Is there any other way to troubleshoot this problem?

Charlotte_G

@Sebastian29 Thanks for trying that! I'd love to find out some more information first and then we can look into possible resolutions. What app are you controlling Spotify from? Is it the Bose Music app, or through Spotify Connect?

Sebastian29
Participant
Registered since

Dec 19, 2020

@Charlotte_G , I have tried with both. The difference I can see when setting 'next song' in Bose Music app is that a loading circle is visible, meanwhile in the spotify app, the next song seems to be reproducing but it isn't (it takes the same time as in the Bose music app)

I think it is worth to mention that when reproducing a playlist there are no delays, unless a user action is performed (next, previous song)

Jessie_O

Thank you for confirming. 

I would recommend removing Spotify from your music services and then reading. You can do this by following the instructions outlined HERE

Let me know how you get on! 

Sebastian29
Participant
Registered since

Dec 19, 2020

Hi @Jessie_O

I have tried that without any luck. Also I removed the speaker from my devices account, and re configured it with my wife's bose account and the result is the same.

Note also that tunein is super slow, so I don't think it is just related to spotify.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Author Accepted Answer selected by Sebastian29

Thanks for trying that and letting us know Sebastian 29!

It's interesting that the audio controls are still slow when using another account as well. Because of this, it does suggest that something in the network is stopping the apps and mobile devices from communicating with the speaker correctly and slowing down the commands. As this problem with streaming music started recently, have you made any changes to your network recently, like getting a new router, or Wi-Fi extenders? 

It would be worth checking the settings on your router against our recommended router settings HERE to make sure your network is optimized for the speaker. If you are unsure about changing settings on your router, then your internet service provider or router manufacturer will be able to help you do this.

It would also be worth checking for possible sources of wireless interference near your speaker that could be causing issues communicating with the speaker. If your speaker is close to other wireless devices, or large amounts of metal they can interfere with wireless signals to the speaker. Try moving the speaker to another location away from any other wireless devices and see if you still have the slow response time when controlling the speaker.

Let me know how this goes!

View solution in original post

Sebastian29
Participant
Registered since

Dec 19, 2020

Hi @Keith_L 

It is absolutely a network issue as I recently changed my ISP. I tested the speaker functionality with another network and it worked flawlessly!

Thank you for the support. I would appreciate if you can indicate me what I should ask the ISP, as the router configuration seems fine. Do you think it is a firewall config they have?

It is a relief that it has nothing to do with my speaker.