Country

UK/CZ

Firmware Version

10.0.10-9304+6a8d444
App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on

N/A
Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I have a Bose HomeSpeaker 500 as my primary device for interacting with Alexa. I also have a Alexa enabled LG TV, and want to turn on this TV via Alexa in Bose Speaker.

Latough all the functions to controlling the TV works as expected when instructed Bose HomeSpeaker, i cannot get to turn ON the TV via Alexa.

The TV can be turned on with LG ThinQ App without issues. The TV can be turned on via WiFi WakeOnLan packet as well.

The only issue is that Alexa cannot turn the TV on properly. I have no other Amazon Echo/Dot device in my home installation.

Does HomeSpeaker 500 support the basic Alexa.WakeOnLANController Interface: https://developer.amazon.com/en-US/docs/alexa/device-apis/alexa-wakeonlancontroller.html

so it can receive the TurnOn command from AlexaCloud and emit a WakeOnLan packet into local network ? I'm sure the WakeOnLan packet works between Wifi client and WiFi TV, it is not an issue, but the WakeOnLan packet is not sent by Bose HomeSpeaker when instructed by Alexa.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/articles/HC2434/productCodes/bose_home_speaker_500/article.html

This WakeOnLan feature is not listed in the above unsuported functions of Alexa/Bose combo.

What environment do you experience the issue in?

Dual WiFi router, both TV and Bose connected to the same 5Ghz SSID.

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

Never worked

Any troubleshooting steps you took

Tried LG ThinQ Basic Alexa skill and also very simple implementation of Alexa.WakeOnLANController skill ( https://www.wolskill.com/ ) without success.

WakeOnLan via WiFi tested manually with generating so called MagicPacket from notebook connected to the same 5Ghz SSID and TV was able to wake up and turn on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Keith_L

Re: HomeSpeaker 500 - support of Alexa WakeOnLANController Interface

Author Accepted Answer selected by vlada.benc@gmail.com

Hi vlada.benc,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

I'm not familiar with the Alexa.WakeOnLANController Interface, so I have been having a look into it from the link you provided. As part of that article, it does have a list of Alexa devices that are able to support the Alexa.WakeOnLANController Interface and it does only seem to be Amazon's own Alexa devices that are able to support it. The list they give is that these devices support the interface, there isn't any mention of non-Amazon devices being able to support it:

• Amazon Tap, Echo (all generations)
  • Echo Dot (all generations)
  • Echo Input
  • Echo Plus (all generations)
  • Echo Show (all generations)
  • Echo Spot

It does seem from this that the interface is something that is limited to Amazon's 1st party Alexa devices only, so it may not be possible to make it work with the Home Speaker 500. As all other commands to control your TV apart from the Alexa.WakeOnLANController, it does suggest that it is not compatible with 3rd party Alexa devices like ours.

I hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Keith_L

Author Accepted Answer selected by vlada.benc@gmail.com

Hi vlada.benc,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community!

I'm not familiar with the Alexa.WakeOnLANController Interface, so I have been having a look into it from the link you provided. As part of that article, it does have a list of Alexa devices that are able to support the Alexa.WakeOnLANController Interface and it does only seem to be Amazon's own Alexa devices that are able to support it. The list they give is that these devices support the interface, there isn't any mention of non-Amazon devices being able to support it:

• Amazon Tap, Echo (all generations)
  • Echo Dot (all generations)
  • Echo Input
  • Echo Plus (all generations)
  • Echo Show (all generations)
  • Echo Spot

It does seem from this that the interface is something that is limited to Amazon's 1st party Alexa devices only, so it may not be possible to make it work with the Home Speaker 500. As all other commands to control your TV apart from the Alexa.WakeOnLANController, it does suggest that it is not compatible with 3rd party Alexa devices like ours.

I hope this helps!

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.

View solution in original post

vlada.benc@gmail.com
Participant
Registered since

Dec 17, 2020

Hello Keith,

yes, you are right that only Amazon devices are listed as supported (from the documentation point of view its logic as they cannot promise any 3rd party manufacturer will implement or support this) but for users with only Bose speaker in their infrastructure (instead of playing music from crappy Dots) it is really annoying that this feature is not working as expected although the Alexa WoL Interface seems rather simple as the device needs to subscribe and listen for these type of AlexaCloud requests and if received a request, just send one Magic packet into local LAN/Wifi.

I understand it is not in focus by Bose to support these kind of things, but it would be really nice to consider it for future Firmware updates, as it may be implemented to many of your products the same way.

Maybe my understanding of this feature is wrong and cannot be implemented by 3-rd party skill, but from the docs, seems like any device can support it if needed.

Looking forward to see it in the changelogs 😉

Vladimir

Keith_L

Hi Vladimir!

It's worded in a way that leaves it a little open to interpretation in the article, but it does sound like the WOL can be implemented in a skill, set to power on any 3rd party device on your Wi-Fi network, not necessarily be used from any 3rd party Alexa device.

I'll definitely pass your suggestion along to the development team, as I'm sure having the ability to use WOL from the smart home speakers would be useful in a number of situations! I can't say for certain if WOL is something that will be possible to have from the smart speakers, but I'll make sure the team knows this is something you would be interested in seeing added going forward!

Let me know if you have any other feedback on features you would like to see in the future, and I'll pass those along as well!