Participant
Registered since

Feb 2, 2020

I cannot turn off my Bose Portable Home Speaker anymore, could this be related to the recent upgrade

My Bose Portable Home Speaker will not turn off by holding down the Power button.  I have reset it to factory twice and set it back up but this is not fixing it.  What should I do?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: I cannot turn off my Bose Portable Home Speaker anymore, could this be related to the recent ...

Hi Royone, 

Welcome to the community, thanks for reaching out. I am very sorry to hear that you are having this experience in turning off your Portable Home Speaker. 

Thanks for performing a reset, this was a good first step to take. Can you just confirm for me the factory reset you performed was via the following instruction: Simultaneously press and hold the Bluetooth and Volume + buttons for ten seconds until the light ring is filled with white light.

Can you try in performing a power cycle of your speaker. Please let the battery deplete, then continue to provide a full charge. A full charge can be achieved in 4 hours with the Bose power supply. 

Please let us know how you get on. We would love to get this resolved for you. 

Kind regards,

Tegan M - Community Support 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started. And don't forget to check out our new and improved Community Ranks and Rewards!
Participant
Registered since

Feb 2, 2020

Re: I cannot turn off my Bose Portable Home Speaker anymore, could this be related to the recent ...

Yes I followed the reset process and tried letting it die and fully charging.  Neither one worked.

Hey, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

I am so sorry that the steps did not work for you. This does seem strange. In this instance, I would recommend giving us a call and exploring the service options for the system. You can do that by clicking this link here. Once on the Glocal Support page, you will need to select your country of residence and click on 'Contact us' at the bottom of the website. 

One of our customer service team would be more than happy to assist you. 

Kind Regards, 

Vicky W 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Participant
Registered since

Jun 21, 2020

Re: I cannot turn off my Bose Portable Home Speaker anymore, could this be related to the recent upg

I have the same issue - Was any solution found?

A number of times the speaker batteries have been completely drained because the speaker didn't turn off, even though I followed the instructions to fully turn it off.

I usually use the speaker in wifi mode with AirPlay.

If I hold the power for 2 seconds as per the manual (or longer), it makes the sound and the LED goes off but I can still ping the speaker's IP on the network, and it's still visible as an AirPlay device (expected result: It should stop responding to pings and no longer be visible as an AirPlay target)

I have had some success turning on bluetooth mode by pressing the bluetooth button and then holding power for 2 seconds, it then stops responding to pings on the wifi network after a few minutes (although I'm not 100% sure it is truly fully off)

I have already tried a factory reset with new wifi setup, and do not use any home assistant functionality.

Participant
Registered since

Nov 29, 2019

Re: I cannot turn off my Bose Portable Home Speaker anymore, could this be related to the recent upg

I have the same issue. Was a fix found for this?

I cannot turn it off to save the newly charged battery. To have to factory reset it every time is not a viable solution for something that has an on and off button and has a limited battery charge. 

Participant
Registered since

Jan 12, 2021

I just had this issue today where my speaker was on and any buttons that I pushed did absolutely nothing. Wait except my mute button worked and I could turn on and off mute, and the red light did the same. I looked through this thread hoping it would be my easy fix and it wasnt. I did all the combinations listed above and none of them worked. I was just about an hour into this and ready to throw the darn thing away.

THEN I FINALLY DID A COMBINATION THAT FACTORY RESET THE SPEAKER. 

They tell you to hold the volume buttons and power button to factory reset and it didnt fix my, frozen but on, speaker issue.

Here it is

I held down the power, volume buttons, AND THE PAUSE AND PLAY BUTTON. For 10 to 15 seconds. 4 buttons total. They should really be specific about this. My speaker was frozen for 2 days and this trick finally made it work proper again. AND I CAN TURN IT OFF. 

I know it sounds silly but I really hope this helps out another frustrated person like I was. I made an account just to post this to help you out. Good luck to you.