lonewitness
Audible Advocate
Registered since

May 22, 2019

Latest Firmware (4.08) broke passthrough audio

Hi I have been running this setup for the past few months

Nvidia Shield TV  -->HDMI--> LG EG920T TV -->HDMI ARC --> Bose Soundbar 700 + Bass Module 700 + Bose Surround Speakers

I have been using Kodi to playback local media with 5.1 AC3 audio and have been passing through the audio from Kodi

With the latest firmware update I keep hearing crackling in the back right surround speaker.

I have tested and it's not a hardware issue, switched the L surround speaker to R and got the same crackling.

Nothing else has changed in the setup besides the firmware. Is there a way to rollback or fix this?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager

Re: Rear speakers problem

Bose Best Answer selected by Community Manager Andy_B

Hi all,

We're happy to let you all know that firmware update, 4.0.9, has been released today. You can read more information from the thread HERE

As noted in the thread, this update will process automatically between the hours of 2:00 AM – 5:00 AM local time. It may take 24-48 hours to receive the update. There is no way to force this update immediately. 

We'd like to thank you all for your continued patience. 

Kindest,

Andy B

293 REPLIES 293

Re: Latest Firmware (4.08) broke passthrough audio

Hello lonewitness,

Thanks for posting in the community, I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing crackling from your speakers. I would be more than happy to help you with this, I would recommend trying a product reset.

Please follow the steps below to reset the Soundbar 700:

• Turn the soundbar off

• Unplug the soundbar power cord from the power outlet

• Wait 30 seconds

• Reconnect the power cord

• Wait 30 seconds for the system to reboot

Reset Bass Module 700 by following these steps:

• Unplug the bass module power cord from the power outlet.

• Wait 30 seconds.

• Reconnect the bass module power cord.

• Wait 15 seconds for the bass module to power up and reconnect.

I hope this helps, let me know how you get on!

Kindest regards,

Zoe C - Community Support 

Atlantis
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 26, 2016

Dear Bose,

I am experiencing exactly the same issue. I have my LG tv connected via HDMI to the Bose 700 soundbar.

When watching a movie (from Netflix for example) and there is some background music there is a soft crackling noise coming from the right sound of the Soundbar 700.

My parents have the same soundbar and they are also experiencing the same issue.

This started to happen since the latest firmware update 4.0.8.

Please fix ASAP, because this is really annoying. 

Hello Atlantis,

Thanks for getting in touch, I am sorry to hear you and your parents are also experiencing crackling. Have you tried a product reset?

Kindest regards,

Zoe C

nikos
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 3, 2018

Rear speakers problem

Hi everyone,

i have the sb 700 with the bass module and the rear speakers. Everything was ok as far as the sound is concerned but since the last night update there is a loud crackling noice coming out of one of the rear speakers specially when there is alot of bass in the movie i watch. I really don't know what to do, it is bad. Can someone help me?

Community Manager

Hi @nikos, @Atlantis, and @lonewitness

We've sent you a Direct Message and look forward to hearing back from you.

Kindest,

Andy B

Atlantis
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Mar 26, 2016

Hi Andy,

I just send you a reply and also made a short movie of the crackling sound. You can particularly hear it from the front right of the Soundbar. I don't have the rear speakers.
Mewo
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Dec 24, 2018

I have soundbar 500 and bass module 500, after the update i hear cracking sound from the right speaker. 

Community Manager

Hello Mewo, 

Welcome to the Bose Community Forums and thank you for posting.

To confirm, is the crackling audio coming from the right side of the Soundbar 500, or is it coming from the Right Surround Speaker?

Additionally, have you attempted any troubleshooting, such as resetting the Soundbar 500 and connected accessory speakers, such as disconnecting them from power for at least 60 seconds then reconnecting to power to test?

If the issue persists, we'd love to know how you have your Soundbar 500 connected to your TV, and what audio sources you're playing to the Soundbar such as from a Cable/Satellite box, Blu-Ray player, or similar. We'd also like to know the audio codec or format that your TV is outputting to the Soundbar. This can be generally found by entering your TV's settings and can be found under Audio Settings.  

Kindest,

Andy B

werdna_C
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 22, 2019

So this is hopefully my first and last post :0)

I have a Bose Soundbar700 + Base Module 700 + Surround Speakers. 

I first noticed this issue last night, but thought it was just the video i was watching. 

Just noticed i'm now also on 4.08 with LG OLED TV -> HDMI ARC -> Soundbar700

Rebooted rear speakers last night. But didnt solve.

Right rear speaker is/was the issue. There were lots of high frequency buzzing or crackling sounds coming out of only the right -rear.

I powered down the Soundbar & all speakers for 2mins. Then rebooted. It looks like on face value that this is now solved the issue. 

But really? I dont care about Alexia or Google etc. (in UK so Google not visible anyways). Airplay was a huge plus for me though in recent firmeware update.

I was planing on calling your service team tomorrow, and returning the speaker as it was purchased recently and thought it was defective. Just lucky i looked on here and see that it likely due to firmware update.

Regular firmware updates are great. But a nice addition on the iphone app, could be a notification of a firmware update. In that way, i would have figured out quite quickly that this could be a firmware issue. And did a power reset of the full system first. 

Anyways.... I hope this is the issue solved, for this Fantastic product

Just in case people read this as the solution, i felt the need to edit this post.. the problem still exists, lets hope for quick solution. to be fair Bose Admins on here are replying very quickly to this.