Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 15, 2020

Less powerful SoundTouch amp than SA-5?

I'm looking at a pair of 161 speakers for a small bedroom. Is there any lower power SoundTouch amplifier than the SA-5? 100 watts per channel is overkill for those speakers. Also, not clear on Bluetooth connectivity. Bose website has a picture of a wall-mounted speaker with a statement about Bluetooth - can I connect the 161 speakers to a SoundTouch amp w/o using wires?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Less powerful SoundTouch amp than SA-5?

Author Accepted Answer selected by MarcJ

@MarcJ wrote:

I'm looking at a pair of 161 speakers for a small bedroom. Is there any lower power SoundTouch amplifier than the SA-5? 100 watts per channel is overkill for those speakers. Also, not clear on Bluetooth connectivity. Bose website has a picture of a wall-mounted speaker with a statement about Bluetooth - can I connect the 161 speakers to a SoundTouch amp w/o using wires?

I think you will be much happier using the correct equipment for your stated application. Small room? try SoundLink or Colour SoundLink speakers. The Bose Home 300 might also work nicely for you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

No, they currently only have the one amp.  You can of course use 3rd party amps, but then you lose the SOundTouch control.

When they talk about wireless and BT in these speakers it is about how the amp gets the music, not how the speakers receive it.  Both the speaker sets you're looking at are passive speakers, so they need to be wired to an amp to get any power.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Author Accepted Answer selected by MarcJ

@MarcJ wrote:

I think you will be much happier using the correct equipment for your stated application. Small room? try SoundLink or Colour SoundLink speakers. The Bose Home 300 might also work nicely for you.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Sep 15, 2020

Thanks rickatk. Agree about sticking with SoundTouch products. Looks like I can still find the older SoundTouch 10 speakers at a couple retailers which will give me everything I need in one package. Presume they can update to latest software.

Highlighted
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

SoundTouch 10 can do Airplay as well.