Mike_K999
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

Listen to BBC radio via Google Assistant on Bose 300 Smart Speaker

Hi,

I have just purchased a Bose Home Speaker 300 but it does not seem to work with BBC radio stations.  I am using Google Assistant but when I say the name of the station it thinks for a while then the red light comes on the bar.  It says it is looking for it on Tune In, but the BBC stations are not on that app anymore.  If I tell it to 'Play BBC Radio 2 on the Sounds app', it still doesn't work.

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?  Thanks.

32 REPLIES 32
Sam_F

Re: Listen to BBC radio via Google Assistant on Bose 300 Smart Speaker

Hey Mike!

Could you confirm whereabouts you are located? Are you having issues playing other radio stations through the TuneIn service? Depending on your location you may run into some trouble when trying to stream BBC radio stations.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Mike_K999
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

Hi Sam,

I am based in Shropshire in the UK and I do not seem to have a problem playing other radio stations on TuneIn.  Thanks.  

Sam_F

Thank you for confirming that, Mike.

As you may or may not know, BBC pulled TuneIn streaming to BBC radio stations for UK-based residents back in August of last year. You can read a similar thread discussing the situation HERE.

Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Mike_K999
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

Hi Sam,

That doesn't really help me.  What the other thread seems to be saying is that I cannot connect to BBC stations using my voice on my BOSE speaker.

Is that correct?

If so, that isn't really acceptable that the speaker won't connect to the most popular radio stations in the country without going through the Sounds App on my phone.

Please confirm.

Sam_F

Hey Mike! I do apologize, I slightly misunderstood your original request.

Out of curiosity, are you able to play BBC Radio 2 on your speaker if you navigate through the Bose Music app and select it? Is it only when you ask with Google Assistant that you run into issues?

Mike_K999
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

Hi Sam,

That is correct, I can find it and listen through the BOSE App (or the BBC sounds App) but when I ask the Google assistant, it can't find it.

Andy_B
Community Manager

Mike, what exact command are you giving to the speaker? Additionally, what exact response is the speaker providing to you? Additionally, do you have any alternative Google Assistant-enabled devices in the home to test with? Can you try asking Google Assistant - "Okay Google, ask BBC to play xxx" and relay results?

Mike_K999
Participant
Registered since

Apr 25, 2020

Hi,

The exact commend I am giving is 'Hey Google, play BBC radio 2'.  The speaker then replies 'Sure, playing BBC Radio 2 on Tune in', then the screen says 'that didn't work please try again' and the light flashes amber.

Unfortunately, I do not have any other google assistant enabled devises in the home to try.

When I say 'Okay Google, ask BBC to play Radio 2', it replies 'Sure, playing BBC Radio 2 on Tune in' then the screen says 'that didn't work please try again' and the light flashes amber.

abside
Participant
Registered since

May 5, 2020

Love how Bose support linked you to a post which didn’t even conclude an answer for the question raised then, let alone this one  😂

I don’t understand how BBC stations are in fact on the TuneIn service via Bose. But ask Google to play it, it says it’s found it but can’t play it (same as Mike)