Highlighted
david-
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

*Multiple Issues* Connection Issues with Bose Music App & with Issues Playing Music with Alexa

Hey all!

I recently purchased a Soundbar 700 and had next to no issues with the initial setup. However, we are beginning to experience some frustrating problems and would appreciate some assistance. 

1) Soundbar 700 'not available' on Bose Music app. 

Upon initial setup, I was able to use Bose Music to access the Soundbar's settings and its features. However, now I cannot access my device as it says it is 'not available' on the app. As a result, AirPlay 2 does not seem to work on any of my music streaming services. 

As of now, the only way I can access the Soundbar on Bose Music (and connect via AirPlay) is by unplugging the soundbar and plugging it back in. 

Although, bluetooth works fine, I would like to have the option to use the Bose Music app as well as AirPlay without having to unplug my device every time. 

2) Alexa won't play music via voice commands.

Although bluetooth works fine (with Apple Music, Spotify, etc.) , we were looking forward to using Alexa to play music but we've been having issues with that as well. Whenever, I ask Alexa to play a specific song or artist (ex. "Alexa, play Abba on Amazon Music") she responds with, "now cycling songs from "artist" but doesn't play anything. Instead, the white light flashes for about a minute and then the orange light flashes four times. (In some cases, Alexa tells me she is having trouble playing the music). 

Alexa is then unresponsive for some time after requesting a song (white pulsing light).

I'm a bit lost on how to tackle these issues and would greatly appreciate some help!

This was a bit of a long one so thanks for reading!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
david-
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Re: *Multiple Issues* Connection Issues with Bose Music App & with Issues Playing Music with Alexa

Author Accepted Answer selected by david-

Hi Keith,

Apologies for the late reply but I figured an update on the situation was necessary. 

I was unable to figure out how to update the Soundbar 700 manually, so instead I opted for a factory reset. (Side note/question: is there any way to see the current firmware that is available for the Soundbar, so I can compare it to the version that my Soundbar is currently on? Right now, my Soundbar 700 is on ver 6.0.15-7651+0af1f35)

This seemed to improve things significantly as it fixed most if not all of my issues. The connection seems to be improved. Additionally, I was able to connect my TV and Cable Box to the universal remote as well as set up Alexa voice commands to turn the TV on/off, which I wasn't able to do before.

As for playing music via voice commands with Alexa, I ran into trouble again as I was experiencing the same issue (no music playback) even with my Amazon Music account connected and authorized in the Bose Music App. I fixed this however by going into the Amazon Alexa app and setting the default music service to my new Spotify Premium account and then connecting that account to the Bose Music App. 

TLDR; A factory reset worked miracles and issues with music playback were solved by adjusting settings in both Amazon Alexa App and Bose Music App. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Best,

David 

7 REPLIES 7
amourcc971@hotmail.fr
Silent Starter
Registered since

Dec 1, 2019

Re: *Multiple Issues* Connection Issues with Bose Music App & with Issues Playing Music with Ale

Re: *Multiple Issues* Connection Issues with Bose Music App & with Issues Playing Music with Alexa

Hello david-,

Welcome to the Bose Community. Thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with your Soundbar 700.

I would recommend checking the network your soundbar is connected to, as if you have more than one network in your home, and your devices are connected to a different network each, the speaker may not appear in the app as an available device. 

With regards to Amazon Music, can you please confirm which membership type it is you are using? 

I'll look forward to your reply.

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

david-
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Hey Jeff!

Thank you for your reply.

My phone is connected to the same wifi network as the soundbar and still displays the soundbar as unavailable — even after restarting the app/refreshing. The only times I am able to access the soundbar on the Bose Music app is after disconnecting and reconnecting the power from the soundbar (while on the same network of course)

As for Amazon Music, we are on the basic plan (not Unlimited) as we primarily use Apple Music. 

Thank you so much!

Hi david-,

Thanks for getting back to us. 

It sounds as though there have been some connection problems and therefore any firmware updates may not have automatically been installed. Let's go ahead and check that the Soundbar is running the latest version. You can do this by visiting Manually updating Soundbar 700.

Additionally, I found from my personal experience that my router settings were causing some hiccups with the connection. I'd strongly urge you to take a look at the following recommendations by Bose and match your settings as close as possible for the best possible connection. 

• UPnP - Enable
  • Multicast - Enable
  • IGMP - Enable
  • Wireless Isolation - Disable
  • IGMP Proxy - Disable
  • Wi-Fi Radio or Radio Mode - Mixed or B/G/N
  • Stealth mode - Disable
  • MAC Filtering/Access Control - Disable, or add the SoundTouch™ system’s MAC address to the allowed devices list
  • WPS - Disable
  • Wireless channel - Fixed (select a specific channel); Auto-Channel selection is not recommended.
  • Security type – WPA-2(PSK) with AES Encryption.
  • WMM – Disable.

Please let me know the outcome of these steps, and if the issue persists we'll be happy to continue looking into this with you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

david-
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Re: *Multiple Issues* Connection Issues with Bose Music App & with Issues Playing Music with Ale

Hi Charlotte!

Thanks for your reply!

Firstly, I figured out the issue with playing music via Alexa voice commands. 

The problem ended up being that I did not verify my Amazon Music account on the my Bose homepage. Once I authenticated, Alexa seemed to have no issues playing music. 

However, I am still running into problems with connecting to the Soundbar through the app. 

While attempting to manually update the device, I could not seem to open one of the links: http://203.0.113.1:17008/update.html

This prevented me from completing the update.

Additionally, I changed any of the router's settings that I could find. However, this did not seem to help. 

Thanks for your help!

Hi david-,

I'm glad to hear you have got Amazon Music up and running correctly now!

With the update you have been trying to do, that link you posted will only load a page if the soundbar is connected via USB cable to your computer. If you are trying to do it without the USB connection you would need to find the IP of your speaker on your network and then go to [Products IP Address]:17008/update.html so for example 192.168.1.25:17008/update.html

If you are still having issues after changing the settings you can find on your router, it would definitely be worth contacting your local support team and they can go through those settings and some additional steps with you. When we encounter an issue like this, it does tend to be related to the network and it stopping the app and soundbar communicating correctly.

You can find the contact information at this link, by selecting your country/region and then the 'Contact Us' option at the bottom of the page.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

david-
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 30, 2019

Author Accepted Answer selected by david-

Hi Keith,

Apologies for the late reply but I figured an update on the situation was necessary. 

I was unable to figure out how to update the Soundbar 700 manually, so instead I opted for a factory reset. (Side note/question: is there any way to see the current firmware that is available for the Soundbar, so I can compare it to the version that my Soundbar is currently on? Right now, my Soundbar 700 is on ver 6.0.15-7651+0af1f35)

This seemed to improve things significantly as it fixed most if not all of my issues. The connection seems to be improved. Additionally, I was able to connect my TV and Cable Box to the universal remote as well as set up Alexa voice commands to turn the TV on/off, which I wasn't able to do before.

As for playing music via voice commands with Alexa, I ran into trouble again as I was experiencing the same issue (no music playback) even with my Amazon Music account connected and authorized in the Bose Music App. I fixed this however by going into the Amazon Alexa app and setting the default music service to my new Spotify Premium account and then connecting that account to the Bose Music App. 

TLDR; A factory reset worked miracles and issues with music playback were solved by adjusting settings in both Amazon Alexa App and Bose Music App. 

Thanks so much for your help!

Best,

David