Nedular
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 15, 2019

Re: Music Service as Alarm on Home Speaker 500?

Would be great to go to sleep listening to a podcast or book etc and wake to music from a service somehow at a particular time. 
At the moment I only have the ability to power the speaker on with an Alexa routine which means it is going to playback whatever was playing when it was powered off. 
struggling to convince my wife that 300 pounds was justified to replace a 40 pound clock radio!!!

tonsarons
Participant
Registered since

Feb 27, 2020

Just doing some research before a purchase and found this thread. Quite disappointed that a nearly $400 CAD "Smart" Speaker can't even wake you up to TuneIn or radio without an alexa routine. Will be watching for updates as this is a showstopper for me. Cannot bear to use Alexa for this sort of thing.  

Gyberia
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 18, 2020

I do worry this is a feature that is going to be overlooked by bose. I didn't do the research into this smart speaker for this feature, but it was a huge feature I wanted from a smart speaker. I considered buying an alexa device specifically to do this. I can't understand why bose would not have such a feature. It seems like something any high end speaker should have and I can't imagine it would be that hard to do. I never know when this device actually updates, but I check alexa to see if it works from time to time. She agrees to wake me up to music of my choice, but it never works. The speaker fails to function. I have a harmon kardon alexa speaker I use for other things, but I wanted this for my bedroom. Strangely I get so much more functionality out of alexa with my harmon kardon speaker and I only payed $60 for it.

I was quite surprised when I kept trying to get bose to play music as an alarm and it failed every time. I did purchase this speaker to listen to music on and have a small form factor and give great sound. So I wasn't disappointed there. However I would like it to have some of what should be basic functionality with alexa. I haven't tried google, but since I have amazon music hd, I stick to alexa. I do like the idea of being able to control smart alarms with the app and not have to rely on alexa, but I could live with it being controlled only with alexa, but the option for both or fine tuning would be great as alexa sometimes is like pulling teeth to get her to play stuff I want.

Vanyavanya
Participant
Registered since

Apr 1, 2020

Yes please! 
move been trying to find a way to set a music alarm using my set up stations, as well as through Alexa with no success, would be great if we could either do it through Bose 500 app or ask Alexa “ please wake me up at .... with my preset 1/ my Spotify playlist “.....” , etc

other than that Love the speaker 😄

Gyberia
Contributor
Registered since

Mar 18, 2020

I would love the speaker to even just wake me up to a preset. I don't understand why that wasn't even considered when designing this speaker. Maybe bose assumed people would just use alexa to play music and that's it? My mornings are boring with out music. If I could at least add songs or various other cool things. I kind of feel a little buyers remorse when I could have gotten another speaker that could have had smart features for alarms and timers.

Fianos
Participant
Registered since

Apr 19, 2020

This is completely and utterly ridiculous, i've spent three hours after buying a top of the line by all standards out there and i can't use an either onboard alarm with one of the 5 presets on it, or set via google assist a music alarm but i can ask to play anything i want from my spotify on the spot just not in a few hours. 

Gentlemen i believe i speak on behalf of many people when i say that this is for all the great work you've done, such a big disappointment, i am replacing it with a sonos tomorrow, i came that close smashing it after sitting down and yelling to alexa siri and google for the better half of my night. 

and all that, to set a stupid alarm for tomorrow morning... 

Lauritag
Participant
Registered since

Apr 21, 2020

I’m very disappointed too. It is incredible that on Home Speaker 500 it isn’t possible to set a music alarm with Alexa.

On my echo dot with clock I can say “Alexa set an alarm on 7am with Rock music” and everything works fine

On both my Home Speaker 500 and Soundbar 500 the same command doesn’t work. 

What’s the status of the feature request mentioned at the beginning of this thread?

abside
Participant
Registered since

May 5, 2020

Absolutely gutted this feature isn’t a thing. And the cheek for the support team to say “oh I’ll raise that as a feature request” as if we’ve asked for it to clean our car. It’s not difficult. My possible reasons why alarms don’t exist on the “smart” range: 

- someone in marketing doesn’t want this to be considered a bedside companion

- the Wave system (worlds most expensive alarm clock) IS STILL FOR SALE (CD player included) 

- devs can’t work out how to soft-power on whilst in standby (it doesn’t have a brain of its own, relies on an external/cloud trigger) 

- Bose assumed Google Assistant or Alexa would manage this

- Bose can’t decide which coding language to stick to so spend most of their time re-writing backend instead of advancing features 

- the marketing and product dev teams have NOTHING to do with each other 

- all of the above 

Come on Bose. You are nearly there. Every other competitor is smashing this and us Bose-heads want to stop feeling embarrassed now. Cheers

Lauritag
Participant
Registered since

Apr 21, 2020

Ciao abside,

pretty sure points 1 and 3 don't apply to this issue:

1. "someone in marketing doesn’t want this to be considered a bedside companion": the alarm function (tone only) is already present and working, so adding music wouldn't change the way final users look at the product

3. "devs can’t work out how to soft-power on whilst in standby (it doesn’t have a brain of its own, relies on an external/cloud trigger)": tone alarm is already there and working, so any trigger must be already implemented.  

I bought an Echo Studio and will evaluate to sell my Home Speaker 500.

abside
Participant
Registered since

May 5, 2020

Hey lauritag 

I must say I’m relieved to hear the technology is there after all. Why oh why is it not a proper feature then? 

i can’t say I’ve come across the tone alarm function. I’ll look again but I wouldn’t say it was obviously present. 

thanks!