cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbk
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

New Home 300 speaker disconnect bluetooth after a few minutes of use.

I got a new Home Speaker 300 to replace a Bose Soundlink Mini II that bricked itself after battery failure.

That old Soundlink speaker would stay connected to my Windows 10 PC as long as it was turned on, now with the new Home 300 if If the PC makes no sound after several minutes the Bluetooth connected speaker disconnects and I have to reconnect with the Windows Bluetooth control panel.

How can I set this speaker to stay connected as long as the PC is turned on?

8 REPLIES 8
Hector_B

Re: New Home 300 speaker disconnect bluetooth after a few minutes of use.

Hey dbk, 

Thank you for posting and welcome to the Bose Community. Sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your speaker disconnecting! 

Let's start by performing a reset on the speaker by turning off your product and disconnect the power cord for 30 seconds. Can you please also let me know if you only see this issue with the PC or with all devices? 

There could be something in the PC's settings that is causing the speaker to disconnect. 

I look forward to hearing back from you with further information. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
dbk
Participant
Registered since

Jul 6, 2020

No, that does not help, as I said this unit replaced a Bose Mini SL II which did not have this issue, and this new Bose 300 exhibits the same behavior on any desktop or notebook I have tried it on, after about 5 minutes or so of no audio activity the unit disconnects the Bluetooth. If audio is playing it will stay on all day.

Keith_L
Community Manager

Hi dbk,

Thanks for the update!

The Home Speaker 300 does have an auto-off timer that will put it into standby if there is no audio playing and no interaction with the speaker for 20 minutes. Once in standby, it would need "waking" by sending a command to it, like pairing from the computer or using the app.

As this timer isn't something that is adjustable, if yours is doing this after 5 minutes then that would not be normal. Is it always after about 5 minutes that it will need reconnecting or does the length of time change at all?

Do you see the same behavior from your speaker if you connect to it from a smartphone using Bluetooth? Would it also need reconnecting after 5 minutes?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
danbarbu
Participant
Registered since

Oct 10, 2020

I am having the same issues with my Bose 300 Home Speaker.
Frankly, this turn off/on advice only tells us you have no idea what it is happening.
Good support service will provide some steps to mitigate the issue from the Windows side if you think that Windows settings are at fault!

[Moderator edit]

Andy_B
Community Manager

Hey danbarbu, welcome to the Community! Thanks for your message. 

As discussed above, if the connected device, in your instance a computer, is not sending an active audio signal, then the speaker will enter standby mode after 20 minutes. To avoid this, an active stream must be playing to the speaker. At this time this functionality cannot be adjusted, but we appreciate your feedback.

vilovian
Participant
Registered since

Dec 30, 2020

"As discussed above, if the connected device, in your instance a computer, is not sending an active audio signal, then the speaker will enter standby mode after 20 minutes. To avoid this, an active stream must be playing to the speaker. At this time this functionality cannot be adjusted, but we appreciate your feedback."

I hope you can appreciate the following feedback about this feature. I have a 500 Home Speaker and I am constantly dealing with this issue of having to reconnect the speaker over and over. If I am doing something not related to sound for 20 minutes (like writing this comment) then want to watch  or listen to something I have to reconnect it in bluetooth settings. I would like the option to at the very least be able to turn off the standby mode function. Why is that not an option already? Just to be clear, I am not asking rhetorically. I actually want to know. 

TLDR Get rid of the 20 min standby mode function or at least have the option to turn it off. 

Thanks

rsharma
Participant
Registered since

Jan 26, 2021

I have Bose 300 speaker and it get disconnected by from my phone after few minutes even if the music is on. Its is connected by Bluetooth.

Thanks 

Rohan 

Vicky_W

Hello Rohan, 

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing audio drop outs with your Home Speaker 300. I would love to try and help. I just need a few more details:

• Is this with all audio devices or just a specific one?
  • Does this happen with all audio sources or a specific one e.g. Spotify, Deezer etc.
  • Is there a reason you would not like to use WiFi to stream music to the speaker?
  • Have you tried streaming music via WiFi? If so, doe you have issues?

Once confirming this, could you please give the troubleshooting in this thread a try and let me know how you get on?