Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 22, 2020

No prompt for WiFi with Bose Home Speaker 500

I bought a Bose Home Speaker 500 a month ago. Have never been able to get it to connect to the home WiFi network because no prompt came up through app. I have been using it through Bluetooth connection so far.

I bought another one in a different color for upstairs a week ago, and when I went into the app was able to add the product fine as was prompted to enter WiFi network details. 

I’m wondering how I can connect the first Home Speaker 500 to WiFi if I was never prompted. Is there a manual way to do this on the speaker itself? I need it to be connected through the app since I would like to link both of these through the home.

california, usa

thank you!

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: No prompt for WiFi with Bose Home Speaker 500

Hi Vpants, 

I would love to assist you with connecting your first Home Speaker 500 to your network!

Please follow these instructions on how to do this. 

I hope this helps! Do let us know if you run into any issues. 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 22, 2020

Hi, 

Thank you for this reply. I tried the steps in the link. The speaker showed as Wifi connected successfully. However, when i opened the app, the speaker shows as unavailable. Any steps from here?

Much thanks again, 

V

Highlighted

Hi V, 

Thank you for coming back to us! 

Is the device you have the app installed on connected to the same network as your speaker? This also includes dual-band networks. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 22, 2020

Yes, I've tried to connect with both networks at home. I have also tried to reboot the speaker with "-" and "aux" buttons held for 10 seconds. Then removed the product from the app and was able to add it successfully with wifi and name the speaker "Living Room." However, the speaker will then show as "not available." My spotify app will give the option to play off "Living Room" speakers though, and I am able to play from Spotify app.

Thanks, 

Van

Highlighted
Community Manager

Hey @Vpants,

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing difficulties in accessing your speaker from the Bose Music app. It sounds to me like you're running into network discovery issues - the Spotify app, and Bose Music app, will each handle these product detections slightly differently which is why we're noting a difference in availability. 

Can you tell us a little more about your home's Wi-Fi network setup - do you use any extenders, boosters or repeaters? Have you tried a quick restart of your speakers and router? It sounds like you've been factory resetting your Home Speaker using the auxiliary and volume buttons - that shouldn't be necessary. Let's try disconnecting all the products, and router, for at least 2 minutes, then reconnecting the router and allowing it to fully power-up and regain internet access. This may take up to 5 minutes. Then, reconnect the speakers back to power, and re-test availability in the app. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 22, 2020

I think I may have an extender/booster/repeater.  Am not sure of which one I have. I know that there is something that looks like another router upstairs. We have a few other items that I am unsure about as well. With this, should I still turn off all routers, wait five minutes, then power back on?

thanks,

v

Highlighted

Hi V, 

Thanks for coming back to us! 

I would definitely go ahead with the reset. I would also recommend unplugging those other items, for now, to see if when can get connected without them. If we can, this will suggest that these items are disrupting the signal. 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 22, 2020

I realized that the other "router" is an ethernet switch. Yesterday I did go ahead with the reset with no success to connecting the speakers to the app. 

I realize now that it is because the speakers are connected to my 5g network, and my phone goes back and forth from 5g to 2g networks. When I select the 5g network for wifi, the speakers are available. 

Thank you for your help! I'm so glad things are figured out now.

Stay safe and healthy, 

V

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Mar 22, 2020

Hello there, 

So I managed to connect both the speakers onto WiFi. However, one only shows up on 2g and the other shows up on 5g despite being setup on the 5g network. Please help! I'm so frustrated.

Thank you,  

V