Thank you for taking the time to post, and welcome to the Community!
I'm sorry to hear of the issues you've had with your Home speaker and would be happy to help.
As you have already confirmed that the system is not set to a volume of 0 by accident, can I ask that you check the following please:
1) Please check for any updates available for this speaker through the Bose Music app. If there are updates ready for this speaker, these will prompt you when you select the product.
2) If you connect to this speaker via the AUX port on the rear of the speaker, do you get audio this way?
3) Depending on the phone and music app you are using, there may be an option to set this to internal or external speakers. Please check if there are such options, and if so, please set these to the external speaker!
4) Please reboot this device by disconnecting this from power for 30-60 seconds, then reconnecting this and testing this again.
Please get back to me to let me know how this goes!
Liam W - Community Support
Thanks for getting back to me.
This speaker is not designed for outside use, and I cannot recommend that you use this in this way.
With that said, when you take this outside, this is likely being taken out of range of the Bluetooth device, and out of range of your Wi-Fi, meaning that this is likely to stop playing.
You would find that if the speaker is connected to an active power supply, and the Wi-Fi router and/or the Bluetooth device are moved to a position that is closer to the speaker that this would likely resolve your current issue.
I hope this helps!
Thank you for elaborating here.
The last 2 things that I would recommend you try here are as follows:
1) Turn off or disable Bluetooth on all other paired devices nearby (including Bose preferred devices) and reconnect only the device you want to hear.
2) There is a chance that this may be drawing enough power to be able to use the basic screen/pairing functionality, but not enough to also play the speaker. As such, I would ask that you try to connect this to a different power supply, or use a power strip to extend this and then place this outdoors, do you find that you have the same issue?
If you're still having issues after trying the above, then I would advise that you do look into returning this product.
My recommendation for a better outdoors system would be to use our Soundtouch SA-5 Amplifier with some of our outdoor speakers, such as the 151 Speakers.
I hope this helps!