Highlighted
Shammyshoo
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

On this device option needed

The lack of an "On This Device" option in the Bose music app is keeping me from buying anything else from Bose.

It's crazy that this be is not an option.  It was available with the sound touch app, which is what led me to buy the home 500 speaker. But I can't play music from my phone!  Which is how I listen to music.

I would set up my house with Bose speakers if this one feature were available.  The fact that it wasn't included, and is STILL not available is head scratchingly dumb!

5 REPLIES 5

Re: On this device option needed

Hello Shammyshoo,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry that you are not able to play music from your phone. This is certainly not expected. Could you confirm if this means you cannot play music at all, or your just your stored music (Not Spotify, TuneIn, etc).

I am not sure what you mean by the 'On This Device' option. Would it be possible to elaborate or provide any screenshots?

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G - Community Support

Shammyshoo
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

Charlotte,

I keep my music and playlists on an SD card in my phone. There is no way to play this music through the Bose Music App. I can stream Spotify, etc. But can't play the music stored on my phone.

The sound touch app, and the Sonos app, and all others I've come across have the ability to play music from your phone. This option is usually listed as "On This Device" when selecting how you'd like to play music.

Hello Shammyshoo,

Thanks for confirming this information. 

Streaming internal music from your device is not available through the Bose Music app, you are correct. However, you can certainly connect via Bluetooth and still play your stored music from your phone!

Please let me know if you have any further questions. 

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Shammyshoo
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 2, 2019

Yes. That's exactly the problem.

This option that is available on EVERY other smart speaker system, and is available on Bose's previous smart speaker system was seemingly arbitrarily removed. I can use Bluetooth, but not with multiple speakers in different rooms. I also lose all artwork when using Bluetooth.

This option was on the previous app. Update the Bose Music app to include this option that is  included everywhere else. It's very frustrating that this simple, ubiquitous feature is missing. And, as I said, I will not be buying any more Bose products if the inclusion of this feature is not rectified.

Hello Shammyshoo

The ability to play music stored internally on a mobile device through the app was actually not available through the SoundTouch app. The only stored music libraries that were able to be added to the app were from computers that had the SoundTouch app installed, not on mobile devices. I do, however, fully understand that this is a feature you would like to be included in the app and will be passing your feedback along, to see if it is something we may be working to implement, or could potentially add going forward.

In the meantime, you can actually play to multiple speakers when streaming via Bluetooth, using the Bose Music app. All you would need to do is start streaming to whichever speaker is most convenient for you, then in the Bose Music app, create a group from that speaker and it will rebroadcast the Bluetooth audio to the other speakers around the house over your Wi-Fi network. Instructions on how to do this can be found by clicking this link.

Kind regards,

Keith L