ban48
Participant
Registered since

Feb 14, 2021

Play Local Content on Smart Speaker 300

How do I play local content on my Home Speaker 300?  I have a network drive and a media player with several hundred albums I'd like to listen to.  I can easily play them on my Soundtouch 30.  Is this feature not available on the Home Speaker?  If so, looks like I bought the wrong speaker...

3 REPLIES 3
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Play Local Content on Smart Speaker 300

The only way to do it is either over BT or over airplay.  The new range removed the ability (I assume that their feedback on the Soundtouches was that most people didn't use it)

Sam_F

Hey ban48,

Thank you for taking the time to post! You'll have plenty of options for streaming music through your Home Speaker 300.

Depending on where you have the music stored, you may be able to use various applications to stream the music. For example, if your songs are saved through Windows Media Player or iTunes, you will be able to stream the music through Bluetooth or AirPlay on your Windows PC or Mac/Macbook. This would be your best chance of streaming locally saved files.

However, I'd encourage that you check out the various streaming services available to be connected in the Bose Music app, to easily play your favorite music in just a few button presses! Let me know how you get on with the option I suggested, and if you have any further queries!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@ban48 

The future is cloud storage and that is where Bose is at. For your personal album collection I suggest you try iTunes Match. For a small annual fee you can upload all your music into the cloud. This is a great solution, especially if your collection is made up of less popular titles not carried by Apple Music.

I agree with @Morlock I don’t think the NAS feature is all that popular with Bose customers any more in this age of cloud storage. 

I am biased in my opinion as I have completely moved over to cloud storage. My documents, photos, music, tv are cloud based. Even my PVR is cloud based. No local storage at all. The convenience is amazing. I can play any title on any device including my truck stereo using Apple Music and BlueTooth and it all sounds very good. Airplay on the Bose gear has added so much value to the speaker line as well. 

If you are feeling adventuresome, now might be a good time to give cloud music storage ago.

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.