Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Portable Home Speaker - Setting up your speaker

Setting up your Portable Home Speaker

https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/setting-up-your-system-portable.html

Ensure the speaker is in Setup Mode

The speaker is in Setup Mode when the upper and lower portions of the light ring are glowing amber.
taylor1.png
If the upper and lower portions of the light ring are not glowing amber:

1. Connect the speaker to power using the USB-C cable and power supply
  2. Turn the speaker on by pressing the Power button
  3. Simultaneously press and hole the Volume - and the Play/Pause buttons for six seconds. While holding these buttons, the sides of the light ring will glow white and increase in size

Download the Bose Music app

The Bose Music app lets you set up and control your speaker from any mobile device, such as a smartphone or tablet. Using the app, your device acts as a remote for the speaker: You can stream music, set and change presets, add music services, explore internet radio stations, configure a voice assistant, and manage speaker settings.

Download and install the free Bose Music app from your mobile device's app store

Create a Bose account or sign into your existing Bose account

If you don't have a Bose account, select Create Account and follow the app instructions

If you already have a Bose account, tap Log In and enter your username and password

Add the speaker to your account and network

On the Add Product screen, select the speaker. If setting up multiple products, swipe left or right to find the one to set up

Note: If you don't see the speaker:

• Close the Bose Music app on any nearby devices
  • Turn on Bluetooth® on the device running the app
  • Bring the device running the app close to the speaker
  • Press and hold the Play/Pause button for ten seconds to reboot the speaker
  • For additional troubleshooting steps, see Cannot connect to Wi-Fi network

Select your Wi-Fi network from the dropdown list and enter its password. Note: If you don't see your network, select Manually Enter Wi-Fi and enter you network name, security type, and password

Tap Submit and wait while the speaker connects to your network

Select a name or enter one for the speaker by choosing Custom Name

Decide if you want to share the speaker with other people on your network. For more info, see Setting the product sharing mode

Tap Save

Add your music services

Select a music service to add:

• If you already have an account with the service, enter your login name and password
  • If you do not already have an account with the service, follow the app instructions to create a new account

Once added, you can select another service to add.

Set up a voice assistant

Select the voice assistant you wish to use:

• If you already have an account with the voice assistant, enter your login name and password
  • If you do not already have an account with the voice assistant, follow the app instructions to create a new account

Note: Voice services are not available in all regions.

30 REPLIES 30
DubCity
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

Re: Portable Home Speaker - Setting up your speaker

Is Bose aware that as soon as someone sets up their new Portable Home Speaker they are going to be extremely devastated if they are using iOS 13?

The Bose Music app has a critical speaker-breaking bug where the volume slider is entirely non functional. 

Lead Community Manager

We’re aware of an issue with the Bose Music app for users who are on iOS 13 are working on a resolution. We hope to have more details on a fix soon!

DubCity
Animated Arbiter
Registered since

Feb 19, 2019

When is soon? This has been going on for a week and a half already since iOS 13 launched on Sept 20. How can we be expected to go on like this not being able to use our $2000+ sound-systems? 

ottovigo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Feb 14, 2015

Can I use any USB-C charger, for example the one I have from my Mac-book Pro or do I have to use the specific wall charger?

Also, what is the voltage provided by the wall charger?

Thanks

Karsten

Hi Ottovigo, 

Thanks for posting and reaching out to us today. 

This charger should be fine as long as it meets the input power for the speaker which is 5 VDC, 3 A. 

Please do let us know if you have any other questions about your new Portable Home Speaker. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

martinvandenhurk
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 20, 2019

Today I received the new portable speaker and am impressed by the sound quality!!!

I prefer using the portable speaker as an extension of Soundbar 700 and Bass module 700, this is possible by adding the portable speaker to a group with the Bose Music App. For daily use, I prefer the soundbar universal remote. It is stupid that creating the speaker group must be set each time you start it In that case I have to switch to the Bose Music App for daily use, while I've selected Bose cause of the universal remote controle. Unfortunately there no possibility to link speakers semi-permanently in a group!

My Soundbar is optic-connected to TV and wired to network, audio and video are in sync. But if the Soundbar and Portable speakers are configured as a group (for watching TV), the audio delay is very-very high. Even with an audio delay setting of 200 ms, video and audio are not synchronous. this makes the combination unsuitable for watching TV, I even think about returning it and change it for Surround speakers!

summarized: the portable home speaker does not fit your wireless home system

jean lin
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

It always showed  can’t find yours speaker after I set the wifi successfully

I use different wifi to test . It showed the same message?

then i initiated the speaker and re-set again

follow the manual to setup 

when finish connecting wifi (mobile and speaker same) , it show can’t find your speaker again 

Why??

Hello Jean Lin, 

Thank you for reaching out via the Bose Community. 

I'm sorry to hear you have had issues setting up your Portable Home Speaker. 

With regards to troubleshooting, can you please check: 

- Bluetooth is enabled. (Bose Music app uses BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) to detect nearby Bose speakers. Ensure Bluetooth is enabled on the device running the app.

- Ensure both your device and speaker are near and connected to the same network. 

- If you are using an Android device, go to your WiFi settings and disable 'smart' or 'automatic network' switching. 

- If you are using an iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular (or Mobile Data if you are in the UK) then disable WiFi Assist. 

- Reboot the speaker, and reboot the device. 

If all fails, please try to factory reset the speaker, then try again. To do this, remove the speaker from your Bose account, then on the speaker, press and hold the Bluetooth and Volume + buttons for around 10 seconds or until the light ring is filled with white light. 

I hope this helps! 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

jean lin
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 21, 2019

I follow your troubleshooting step

After returning  the status of speaker , delete the speaker name from Bose music and re-open my iphone 

Re-setup

1. find my product successfully 

2. choose wifi successfully (the same with my iphone)

3. activation my product successfully 

4 showed the wrong message on bose music app

The detail of message are : we can’t find your product (please check your product communication is the smea with yours phone)

why does it still show the same wrong message ? i already push bluetooth and + to return