Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

May 23, 2019

Re: Portable Home Speaker - Setting up your speaker

Same issues with Spotify on a brand new Portable.

When on Airplay, everything goes mad. Took about 10 minutes and an iPhone restart in order to re-enable Spotify Connect, both in Spotify and Bose Music Spotify.

Is already an old problem with airplay and Spotify.

And, by the way, is a huge difference in quality. Spotify connect is way better than Airplay.

Hi @Danmarc & @wooknoz,

Thank you for informing us in regards to the issues you are experiencing. As I'm sure you both already know - you'll find all news and information about the latest firmware updates for our products and software updates for our applications here on the community.

However, I want to see what result you find when trying the following in regards to the Spotify Connect issue:

When you are streaming over AirPlay, open the Spotify iOS app and select the 'Connect to a device option' in the bottom left. Once there, choose the 'More Devices' option and select your Apple device that is listed - then try playing through Spotify Connect.

This should allow AirPlay to be unassigned on the phone, then you may find no issue streaming through the Spotify Connect option once again.

Give this a try and let me know how things go for you both.

Warm regards,

Sam F

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

May 23, 2019

Dear Sam,

When respecting the sequence of commands that you presented, seems to work fine. Change from Airplay to Spotify Connect and back without problems.

However, the problem still persists when I change the devices directly into the Control Center of the iPhone (outside Spotify). Then everything goes mad :).

But, as long as works with your solution, is not going to be a problem.

Let see how will behave in future days.

And, by the way, the quality of the sound on Spotify Connect is way, way better than on Airplay, both in volume and sound. This is why I insisted on this problem.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

@Sam_F  Thanks a lot for your feedback: indeed your procedure works.

Not as straightforward as expected, but is a workaround.

Would be nice if handover would just work without this procedure though.

Highlighted
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Nov 24, 2019

IOS 13 connectivity issue with Bose Portable Home Speaker - Setting up your speaker

I am ready to purchase Bose Portable Home speaker but see in these forums that it has connectivity problems with iOS 13 on the iPhone. I do not want to purchase this if it’s not going to work with my operating system. Please update the situation?

Highlighted

Re: IOS 13 connectivity issue with Bose Portable Home Speaker - Setting up your speaker

Hello all,

Thank you for trying the steps I posted and I'm very happy it has managed to allow to switch souces without the trouble of unplugging systems and resetting devices.

@Danmarc & @wooknoz, I do understand your frustrations in regards to it not being as simple as it could be, however, I think it may be an AirPlay prioritization issue. I think the iPhone will prioritize device connections to AirPlay over whatever else you attempt to connect. So, the workaround basically instructs your iPhone to disconnect AirPlay so Spotify Connect can take control. As this is an issue happening inside of the Spotify app, you may need to contact Spotify in regards to any possible app updates to amend this.

In regards to your questions Cianne, I will mention that the Portable Home Speaker is absolutely compatible with iOS13. This speaker can be used in a multitude of ways; Bluetooth, AirPlay, WiFi streaming through the Bose Music app. How were you thinking of using the speaker for your music streaming?

Warm regards,

Sam F

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Strident Supporter
Registered since

May 23, 2019

Re: IOS 13 connectivity issue with Bose Portable Home Speaker - Setting up your speaker

Dear Sam, is OK.
Certainly is an Airplay matter and is normal for Apple to make a priority for its software.

Regarding the iOS 13, I can confirm that I have the latest iOs on iPhone 11 Max Pro and there is absolutely no problem with Bose Portable. Works flawlessly.

The only thing that you have to take care, ALWAYS, is to be on same wi-fi network. This includes not only the name of the network but also the frequency, 2.4 or 5.

Also, grouping is perfect, mostly now, when we can group the Portable not only with smart home devices but also with older ones, like SounLink.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 18, 2019

Vicky, Thanks for the help. It seems to have worked. I still get a stutter every now and then, but it is rare and only when I'm doing something on my phone so I'm assuming it is on that end, not a speaker issue.

devices:

Bose Portable Home Speaker, firmware: 3.0.8-1987+a8d34f5

iPhone 8, ios 13.1.3

I'm about to install ios 13.2.3 so hopefully it won't have a negative impact. If so, I'll start with another reset.

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Nov 18, 2019

cianne - I have an iphone 8 running ios 13 (see my previous post) and after resetting everything and starting over, I have virtually no issues with bluetooth and I had no issues with Airplay from the start. 

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

I was on a layover connecting flight at Heathrow airport United Kingdom When I bought a Bose portable home speaker. I brought it home and connected it to my phone Bose app and connected it to the Wifi. It asked me to update the device and I accepted it. The device started updating and showing a white light on the top rotating. Suddenly it show 2 red solid light and both ends. I have tried resetting and everything I have been told to do to restore it but the device won’t respond to anything I press on the device. There is no way I can return this device to United Kingdom because I am in west Africa. How can I fix this device? Kindly help. 
device serial number: [Edited by Moderator]