smahey
Participant
Registered since

May 14, 2021

Portable Smart Speaker

Hi everyone ! 

I bought this portable smart speaker about a month or two ago - everything else is great except I’m having issues with charging this device. I normally would turn off the speaker when not in use & noticed that every time I charge the speaker (alike my cellphone when it’s fully turned off) turned off - the battery seems to be giving wrong info. 

this morning I left it on charge for 3+ hours - unplugged it the prompt said “battery is 4% charged” - unplugged and plugged back to charge - battery was charged to above 50%. 

I was wondering if anybody have had any issues with this speaker. As well, is it true that you cannot charge this speaker when it is turned off ? My first speaker gave me same issues- Bose replaced it. I just don’t want to go through the process again & was hoping to find more info here.

thank you in advance 

3 REPLIES 3
Liam_G

Re: Portable Smart Speaker

Hello Smahey and welcome to the Community! I am sorry to hear you are having issues with charging the smart speaker. I will be happy to help you! 

How are you charging the speaker. Are you using a charging cradle, or a USB cable? If you are using a USB cable, are you using the cable that was provided with the speaker or a third party USB cable? 

I would also recommend resetting your speaker, to fully reboot the system. You can find the instructions here

Looking forward to hear from you! 

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
smahey
Participant
Registered since

May 14, 2021

Hello Liam, 

Thank you for getting in touch - I appreciate it. 

My apologies - I am new to this community & was not sure how to read my messages/replies. 

So here is the info you requested :

1. I use the original cable/adapter sent in the box (I have not tried anything else)

I just rebooted the system - gimme few days to get back to you to tell you the verdict. 

I have a general question (I tried to read about It & people seem to have issue with battery on these portable speaker)

Q1 - I normally charge the speaker when Its turned off (alike my cellphone) - but I noticed the batter does not charge a lot of times. For instance, I had to charge the speaker for 8+ hours for it to be fully charged. - Am I doing something wrong? (what is the best way to charge to protect the battery and prolong its life, I am a strong believer in charging when it's necessary to charge) 

Q2- Does using a different charger (for instance, my google pixel uses the same USB C charger) - does it mess up the internal circuit board or something ?

I am really disappointed with this speaker - I love the quality but this charging thing is driving me nuts. 

Anyhow I will get back to see if rebooting helps. 

thanks again 

Marvin_B

Hi Smahey!

Thank you for getting back to us. 

Sorry that you are still having an issue with your speaker. However, the reset usually does the trick. Let us know how it went after few days.

With regard to your Q1, there is nothing wrong with what you are doing. The speaker also turn off automatically after 20 minutes, if there is no audio playing and no interaction.

With Q2, check that the USB charger meets the power requirement of your product.

On the USB charger, there should be small text that includes the amp (A) or milliamp (mA) rating of the charger. This rating can vary among chargers. A higher rating (i.e. 1.6 A / 1600 mA) will charge your product more quickly while a lower rating (i.e. 0.5 A / 500 mA) will charge your product more slowly—or might not charge it at all. Try another charger that meets the power requirements found in your product specs.

Hope that helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!