User-d7ac98
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

Product Lifecycle of Bose 700

So I have just purchased the Bose 700, however I am aware it's now almost 4 years old as I believe it first appeared in 2018. With the recent discontinuation of the Bose 500, how long will the 700 be around? and do you think we will see an updated soundbar/sub for the 500/700 (perhaps a different name) in the coming future? How long do these products generally go for until they are superseded by a newer soundbar with more tech?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

Re: Product Lifecycle of Bose 700

@User-d7ac98 wrote:

So I have just purchased the Bose 700, however I am aware it's now almost 4 years old as I believe it first appeared in 2018. With the recent discontinuation of the Bose 500, how long will the 700 be around? and do you think we will see an updated soundbar/sub for the 500/700 (perhaps a different name) in the coming future? How long do these products generally go for until they are superseded by a newer soundbar with more tech?

Thanks

Generally those announcements are made in the Bose sales web site and without notice. Unfortunately there are no guarantees with respect to product lines. With that in mind, you can wait for a while but there is no guarantee for anything. 

SoundTouch was around for almost eight years. But Smart Home came along a couple years before SoundTouch was discontinued. The Smart Home platform appears to have some longevity baked into the software with voice assistance. It’s anyone’s guess about  the hardware. 

User-d7ac98
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

Thanks for your reply..

I have one other question regarding the 700.

I have since bought it and it's great, although I found when switching between TV speakers and the Audio speakers i.e. Bose 700, it will always revert back to audio speakers after 10 seconds. I ask this because I used to switch between the two on my smart soundbar 300 and I never had that issue.

Second, I found there was a slight audio delay on certain channels, not on all. Would that be the soundbar or the program? 

Marvin_B

Hi User-d7ac98.

Thank you for your message. This could be due to the soundbar just needing a reset. electrical equipment needs to be restarted from time to time.

1. Sign out of your account in the Bose Music app.
2. Unplug the soundbar from power for 1 minute.
3. After that, plug them back in and wait for the soundbar to fully restart.
4. Sign in back on the app and test the soundbar.

Hope that helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
User-d7ac98
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

I have reset the soundbar mulitple times and signed out of the Bose app.

The audio delay is fine on all other channels and I have tried Amazon Prime and Netflix and they are good. The issue is only on Channel 4. It's ever so slightly delayed on the lip sync. I have tried changing multiple settings on the app and even tried messing around with the TV settings, turning A/V sync on and off and nothing changes it. It's not a massive delay, I would say it's a very small amount, although it shouldn't be there as I have it connected to HDMI. 

I have the Smart Soundbar 300 and I have tested Channel 4 with the exact same settings and its fine. That's why I'm so confused as to why this is happening on the 700. Are there different codecs? I have made sure the 700 has the most up-to-date firmware and everything is updated. 

Marvin_B

Hi again User-d7ac98.

Can you try doing the troubleshooting steps on this LINK.

That should be able to address the issue you are having.

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Rickm1970
Participant
Registered since

May 27, 2021

I have a 500 now and if I remember correctly they introduced both the 700 and 500 soundbars around the same time. I have been debating upgrading to the 700 which is a beautiful soundbar compared to the competition in this space. It is great sounding as well. However, this soundbar space is getting really crowded and there are some interesting options that are in this price range. Hopefully, Bose responds with a new soundbar that can blow away the competition as a replacement to the 700 soon. There is a lot of hype around 3D object sound coming from Dolby Atmos. I understand Bose technology has its own way to fill the room but I am not sure it is as good as using the signals from the content creates directly. Right now I am a bit torn on staying with Bose, as they have not really added to the smart home product line and do not support the latest technology in sound which is their wheelhouse. Today, I only own Bose speakers (mostly wired) but starting to look at other options. FYI, I have been buying Bose products for 30 years.  

rickatk
Expert
Registered since

Nov 12, 2015

@Rickm1970 My view is you will never keep up with all the audio advancements, little and big and suggest you buy for now. Sound fields have come and gone with 2.1 and 5.1 standing the test of time. All the rest are designed to make you buy more stuff. This latest run of Atmos and now Apple’s new spatial codecs are just more tinsel for you to buy.

TVs are doing the same thing with deeper and higher resolution specs being offered every year of two. 

Bose is not known for developing bleeding edge technology, rather they focus on very good sound and build in their products. I suggest you buy for the moment and don’t worry about what the future may hold

The SB700 is quite a capable speaker and as far as 5.X sound, does a very good job. The driver array has been around for years. My 2014 Cinemate 130 sports the same configuration and sounds amazing. I chose that model at the time as I was growing tired of big speakers and an AV receiver with redundant and unnecessary sound fields. There were plenty of wires to go around too, which my wife hated. I don’t even use rear channel speakers as my soundbar was designed to carry rear channels and project them virtually using phase guide. That is what I wanted out of a sound system. Bose did no disappoint.

If you like the Sound Bar 700 buy it. Wireless rear speakers, buy them. That 700 sub is amazing too. Don’t worry about new potential technology being baked in like Atmos.

BTW the SB700 in addition to really great drivers offer e-Arc so you can take advantage of higher resolution sound sources like Netflix’s HQ Audio, which sounds great over HDMI.

User-d7ac98
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 7, 2020

I did a little more investigation and comparing with my soundbar 300 and it seems like it's the channel that is having sync issues so when it's processes with soundbar it's getting even worse. 

So it looks like it's not the soundbar, but the actual channel itself. 

Petrinho17
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 2, 2018

Note that until November 2020 firmware releases where every 2 months. From November until now no firmware were released; this probably means that the SB700 will be discontinued soon