Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rick binaco
Participant
Registered since

Nov 20, 2020

Re: Soundbar 500 stuck in update mode

I have the exact same experience .  It is making me crazy.  I tried calling BOSE... They cut me off.

5 REPLIES 5
Sam_F

Hey Rick,

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue, and that you had some trouble getting through to support. There is one thing you could try if you haven't already, and that's putting the system into recovery mode:

1. Disconnect the speaker from power and wait 30 seconds
  2. Reconnect the speaker to power
  3. When the light bar illuminates, follow the steps below within ten seconds:
    Tip: Do not rapidly alternate button presses. Wait one second between presses
    1. On the speaker, tap the Action button once
    2. Tap the Microphone Off button once
    3. Tap the Action button a second time
    4. Tap the Microphone Off button a second time.
  • The light bar will blink green to indicate the speaker has entered recovery mode. The speaker will then try to download and install the latest update. The light bar scrolls white from left to right while downloading and then from right to left while installing. This can take several minutes. When the light bar turns off, turn on the speaker, open the Bose Music app and add the speaker to your account
  • If the light bar does not blink green after the four button presses, restart the process and continue alternate taps of the Action and Microphone Off buttons for 30 seconds

If the troubleshooting in this thread is not helping fix things, then it's best to reach out to us again. We're always happy to help, but there may be increased wait times getting through due to COVID. However, please continue to call and you will make it through to an agent who'll be able to help you resolve things. Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
skolcay
Participant
Registered since

Nov 19, 2020

Hello

I tried the recovery mode, It starts blinking green and then goes into update mode (right going to right) only to get stuck again. I waited for a day no  change. I contacted bose support, only solution they provided was to send it for repairs, at a cost $154.

But I'm not convinced that this is an hardware issue. I see similar problems have been reported for over a year.  Will I end up paying $154 each time there is a firmware issue? I'm seriously debating whether to dump this, accept my loss and  moveon to a different brand.

Sam_F

Hey skolcay,

Thanks for trying the troubleshooting - sorry to hear it didn't seem to complete the installation on your soundbar. Your product will come with a 1-year manufacturer's warranty, under which we can resolve your issues and get your system repaired. Are you still within this period?

We want to help you get this fixed, so I think you should reach out to our support team once more, and discuss the options in place to find a suitable resolution. I'm sure you took great care of your system and this will be recognized especially if you're still within your manufacturer's warranty period. Let me know how you get on with things, and if you have any other queries!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
DominatorGames
Participant
Registered since

Apr 2, 2021

I had the same problem for 3 days. Soundbar 500 wasn't responding for remote so no reset possible. The only thing I can do was just going to recovery mode which stays for 30 secs. Connecting the network thru ethernet cable didn't work too. 

Finally, it looks like some power issue with the board inside. The product was initially setup on a shared power socket which has the TV, Bass Module, Cable box and iPad charger connected. After trying for 3 days, I got fed up and moved the product to another room to let it run for few days. This time, it was connected to a dedicated power socket. I got a surprise after 2 hours. The update finished and the product is ready to use. 

I think, the board inside needs some minimum wattage to function properly.

Elliot182
Participant
Registered since

Apr 3, 2021

Piece of cr*p! I am extremely disappointed with Bose! meant to be pioneers in this industry, what a let down! I will be returning for a full refund and going over to Sonos. None of your 'solutions' work, the Bose smart soundbar is STILL trying to update, regardless of resetting, recovery mode, updating via cable etc etc! Everything is useless and this was £400! Wasted a weekend trying to fix this, and nobody is available to help as it's lockdown and Easter.