Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2021

SB500 and BU500 Set up issues

I have purchased SB500 and BU500 a week ago.

Initial setup seems to stuck forever after you connect soundbar to bose music app.

I tried all of the update scenarios, wiping or not the soundbar 500, resetting it to the factory defaults, trying to set it to the recovery etc.

It just downloads the newest formware (right to left) never really starting the update itself (left to right).

When i send it to the soundbar 500 manually (web interface for wi-fi or direct cable connection) and the newest firmware upload it says "OK it's being updated" for a second and than crashes into error.

I tried every official troubleshooting guide.

At the moment - I have bought $1500 worth soundbar + subwoofer, of which I can only use soundbar via wired or BT sound output without all of the fancy premium stuff bose offered.

Without initial setup via app (which cannot complete neither automatically nor manually) I have got poor sound, no surround, no Google Assistance or Alexa at all.

And the last one - I live in Russia: we only have resellers here and the only service point that will open on Jan 11th, due to holiday season.

This is the experiecnce I have with "premium high end sound appliances". BTW Bass Module never seemed to connect because initial setup for soundbar was never completed.

I'm shocked, really. Worst user experience ever! Even the registration here on the community website works not that smooth.

**bleep**, Bose? 

No emails to start support inquiry!? Are you serious?

How can I contact support via email? I could have called US phone numbers, but it's expensive and I should call at night. And when I call they offer me to use local service representatives.

I even used to reach some Dmitry who said to be a sales director for Russia, but he and reseller who sold them to me say I should go to service and I'll not be able to get a refund for my purchase before they'll need up to 45 days for service check if everything is okay.

I'd like to return the goods and buy myself Yamaha or Samsung of any kind and speng the rest $750 for charity and booze!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2021

Re: SB500 and BU500 Set up issues

Author Accepted Answer selected by komrade

Here's the solution that worked for me: got the SB500 to the service representatives, they used another internet connection or had a firmware file that's downloaded properly. 40 minutes and update was complete.

Try another internet provider for update (Not another wi-fi network, but different provider, if possible).

@bose maybe you'll start publishing checksums or hash for the firmware files? It will help, for sure.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hey Komrade, 

Thank you for reaching out to us and welcome! 

I'm sorry to hear of the issues you are experiencing with the set up of your Soundbar 500. We will be more than happy to help you!

Whilst we are more than happy to help you with troubleshooting issues, we will be unable to assist with customer service-related issues. You will need to contact your local support for this. 

In order to assist you, can you tell me if you get an error message or code? Can you tell me what it says so I have a better understanding of the issue you are experiencing? Can you also tell me if the system is functioning as you would expect in all other ways?

I look forward to hearing from you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2021

Hi Jessie,

Soundbar works via BT, optical cable, HDMI etc to play sound. But it's all playthrough.

App doesn't allow to calibrate the device, add a bass unit or control the soundbar in any way possible via Bose Music app.

There are no specific errors, cause app shows it's being updating SB500, downloading firmware, blinking right to left.

After you upload firmware directly via cable or a wi-fi web interface showing that everything is ok and then crashes as if there was en error during the upload.

As I mentioned, I tried all of the troubleshooting instructions to try to reanimate the soundbar.

Also I'm facing another issue - I called sales representatives(https://bose-sound.ru/) who sold me the devices( SB 500 and BM500) asking how can I return the goods in exchange for money and they're not willing to return money, warning me that they will send it to the service for 45 days (as they can, regarding the local legislation) without any replacement unit for myself, just to check instead of replacing it without hesitation or refunding or somehow resolving the issue in a good manner, raising customer satisfaction and so on.

I'm disappointed with the customer service and the approach your sales representatives are pursuing, selling "luxury and premium level" appliances.

Thanks for coming back to me @komrade.

Thank you for confirming these details for me. I'm sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your customer service experience. Whilst I am more than happy to assist you with troubleshooting steps, I will be unable to assist you with issues related to customer service. For customer service issues, you will need to get in contact with your local support team. 

I understand you have said that you have tried all the troubleshooting steps, however, without knowing what they are, I can not recommend your next steps. Please let me know the steps you have carried out to try and resolve your issue. 

I look forward to hearing from you! 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2021

Hello again, @Jessie_O!

Full list of actions I performed is listed in the Troubleshooting  section of the Bose website:

1) Unplugged power for more than 1 minute

2) Factory reset

3) In-app Soundbar removal 

4) "Clean" soundbar install (after removal, power off and (or) factory reset

5) Wi-fi update without user interaction (when soundbar starts seeking and downloading a firmware update

6) LAN cable update on the factory wiped soundbar

7) wi-fi firmware upload via web interface of a soundbar after a factory reset

😎 Direct firmware upload in a factory wiped soundbar

Although I could not turn on the green LED after pressing o and mic off buttons repeatedly.

As described above, all of the official steps were performed, but no result that makes soundbar available in the app.

The best result was a successful upload of the firmware via web interface or cable, but it didn't help, update install with led flashing left to right never starts.

In this case I think that the best option for me will be to return the soundbar and a bass module and forget Bose forever, as it's a worst nightmare I ever had.

Cheaper soundbars don't crash on mandatory updates or being updated successfully, support works just fine, but for Bose it's even worse than for chinese no-name acoustics from Aliexpress!

Thanks for updating us on this Komrade, sorry to read that you have had this experience. 

Can you please let me know if you have possibly attempted to use another device to use the Bose Music app? I'd also like to know if you have deleted the Bose Music app and re-installed it? 

Please can you also let us know exactly which device you are using the app on? 

We look forward to hearing back from you with further information. 

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2021

Hello Hector,

I tried different devices indeed! (Samsung Galaxy S10 and Iphone 11) for a bose app. Reinstalled it, wiping clean etc.

Asking such a questions is like "have you tried fuelling your car? do you even have a car? Does it have 4 wheels?".

Thanks for giving these steps a try. 

I'm sorry to hear that these steps were not successful for you and would recommend reaching out to our team by clicking the LINK HERE, selecting your country, and scrolling down to 'Contact Us'. we will be more than happy to help you! 

If there is anything else we can do for you, please reach out again!

Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2021

Hello Jesse,

For the obvoius reasons there's no Russian Federation among the countries I can get official support you offered me to get.

Hi Komrade,

There is a support team available in Russia that you can reach using the contact information shown HERE.

I hope this helps!