SB700 & SoundBar HDMI Splitter (ARC discoveries)
There are TWO main questions here. Please can you help me with both:
I know that the SoundBar 700 supports at least one HD format
- "The Soundbars support Dolby Digitial HD. To be upgraded in the future for supporting Dolby Atmos/DTSX, a software and hardware update would be needed. However, the hardware update would only be parts such as the HDMI cable."
- Is there a way to see what audio format the SoundBar is receiving using the Bose Music App?
- What about LPCM 5.1/7.1, Dolby Digitial Plus, & DTS HD? Are they supported on the SB700?
- If not yet are they expected to be supported in the future like Atmos?
I wanted to get an HDMI splitter to send the system the best sound possible since my TV only outputs PCM 2.0 via ARC (it does not support eARC). So I found a HDMI 4x2 switch and ordered it. I discovered that while I could watch everything on the TV like I expected it would not send sound to the SoundBar via HDMI (only Toslink). I tried troubleshooting and my setup works if I bypass the switch.
I had a HDMI 1x4 repeater and discovered to my surprise that even connecting a single source and sending out HDMI to both the TV and SB700 I could again watch TV but I could not hear anything on the SB700.
So I looked for another HDMI 4x2 switch for the SoundBar. I came across a Switch that is made specifically for SoundBars with HDMI B having only audio out.
I did some research and I discovered something. The manufacture warns against "HDMI ARC" ports:
- "HDMI output B has not sound on soundbar / receiver: check if your soundbar / receiver has a " HDMI IN" port. "HDMI ARC" port is not a real HDMI port can't accept HDMI signal input, but can only return audio from TV. "
They even wrote a blog post warning against using their SoundBar switch with Bose & Sonos systems:
- "First, if you've 3 or 4 sources, and want to streaming audio through HDMI port, a HDMI switch with four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output with audio / video to your TV, and one HDMI output with audio only. And your soundbar or receiver should be with "HDMI IN" port. Those are with "HDMI ARC" port only can't display audio from HDMI sources, but return audio from TV. It is not a real HDMI port. If your soundbar or receiver only has a "HDMI ARC" port, you can only use optical port. Sonos beam and BOSE 500 are two models with "HDMI ARC" port only."
So I have come to you now asking for help.
I am looking for a (4-10)x2 HDMI switch that the Bose SoundBar 700 system will work with via HDMI to ensure that I get true 5.1/7.1 on audio formats it supports. ARC/eARC & CEC from the TV to other components would be needed as is HDMI 2.0/2.1 60hz 4:4:4 12bit ("whatever video & audio goes in; goes out" would be best if possible, but not essential if within reasonable limits). Basically it would be like having a HDMI receiver designed for SoundBars.
- Are there any SoundBar HDMI switches out there that you know would work?
- Are there any that are close to what I described?
- If there are no SoundBar HDMI switches you know that could work. Can you let me know if there is such a thing as a HDMI to "HDMI eARC" converter box that I can use? Something similar to HDCP v2.2 to v1.4 converters?