Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: SB700 & SoundBar HDMI Splitter (ARC discoveries)

We wouldn't be able to recommend any HDMI splitters for you. With 3rd party solutions like this, we can't make any suggestions as we would not be able to confirm how well they would work. 

If others in the community have had experience with trying this and have any suggestions we would love to hear from you.

It's annoying that you will not recommend anything. I know you will not let people know if you are working on anything, so please don't take this next part as me asking that. I would only ask that you share my main comment with your experts in Bose as possible future products.

Also, I would like to point out that your answer only covers the second main question, but ignores the first. Here is the first question again to help maybe get it also answered 😉

-----------------
Question 1

-----------------
I know that the SoundBar 700 supports at least one HD format 

• "The Soundbars support Dolby Digitial HD. To be upgraded in the future for supporting Dolby Atmos/DTSX, a software and hardware update would be needed. However, the hardware update would only be parts such as the HDMI cable."

So it supports LPCM 2.0, DTS/DD5.1, & Dolby Digitial HD (aka Dolby TrueHD) and might get an update for Dolby Atmos/DTSX.

1. Is there a way to see what audio format the SoundBar is receiving using the Bose Music App?
  2. What about LPCM 5.1/7.1, Dolby Digitial Plus, & DTS HD? Are they supported on the SB700?
    1. If not yet are they expected to be supported in the future like Atmos?
Highlighted

Hello NeonsNight,

I do appreciate that and I would be happy to answer your other questions.

There is currently no way to see what format the soundbar is receiving, through the Bose Music app. The only way to find information on the audio format being used at this time is through the source device. 

The ability to find this information has been requested previously as a feature, and I will happily pass this along to our development team from yourself as well.

The Soundbar 700 currently has support for LPCM, Dolby Digital and DTS to play up to a 5.1 signal.

I do not currently have any information to share about future update plans for the Soundbar 700, so sadly can't say whether there are plans to support other formats going forward.

However, when we do have some news to share we will be sure to keep the community updated.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Keith L

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

There is currently no way to see what format the soundbar is receiving, through the Bose Music app. The only way to find information on the audio format being used at this time is through the source device. 

The ability to find this information has been requested previously as a feature, and I will happily pass this along to our development team from yourself as well.

Yes, I understand that though as I am sure you're aware, what a source sends is not always what the destination receives. Feature request it is then.

The Soundbar 700 currently has support for LPCM, Dolby Digital and DTS to play up to a 5.1 signal.

Can you verify that this is correct? It has been mentioned in another thread that it supports DD HD. I thought that meant it supported Dolby TrueHD

Does it only support the SD versions aside from LPCM? Can you at least verify that it supports LPCM 5.1 & 7.1 (even though it can output a max of 5.1) and not max out at LPCM 2.0? That is a very big and important difference.

I do not currently have any information to share about future update plans for the Soundbar 700, so sadly can't say whether there are plans to support other formats going forward.

As mentioned above, another thread said that it will support Atomos. Is that not a verified future feature? 

• "The Soundbars support Dolby Digitial HD. To be upgraded in the future for supporting Dolby Atmos/DTSX, a software and hardware update would be needed. However, the hardware update would only be parts such as the HDMI cable."
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@NeonsNight wrote:

Yes, I understand that though as I am sure you're aware, what a source sends is not always what the destination receives. Feature request it is then.

Can you verify that this is correct? It has been mentioned in another thread that it supports DD HD. I thought that meant it supported Dolby TrueHD

Does it only support the SD versions aside from LPCM? Can you at least verify that it supports LPCM 5.1 & 7.1 (even though it can output a max of 5.1) and not max out at LPCM 2.0? That is a very big and important difference.

As mentioned above, another thread said that it will support Atomos. Is that not a verified future feature? 

Can I get an answer on exactly what audio formats (especially HD) the SB700 supports?

I'm getting a bit annoyed that I have to keep following up on this and have yet to have a clear cut answer. Please help me by answering this as I can only assume that with your resources, it is a simple question!

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Highlighted

Hi NeonsNight,

I would be happy to provide clarification on this for you.

The Soundbar 700, does not support Dolby TrueHD, the only Dolby format it supports is Dolby Digital.

The soundbar does not max out at LPCM 2.0, it can still decode a surround sound signal from an LPCM signal, not just stereo.

I don't have any information to share on future updates to what audio formats the system will be able to support. From how that post is worded, it does seem to be more focussed on, 'If we were to support Atmos, this is what would need changing' rather than a confirmation that it is definitely being planned in the future. They do seem to be discussing the potential, as we do not have any information about plans for Atmos support at this time.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

The Soundbar 700, does not support Dolby TrueHD, the only Dolby format it supports is Dolby Digital.

The soundbar does not max out at LPCM 2.0, it can still decode a surround sound signal from an LPCM signal, not just stereo.

Ok so (as of at least 2019) the audio formats supported on the SoundBar 700 (and I assume the SB500) is Dolby Digital 5.1, DTS 5.1, & LPCM 5.1.

Can What about 7.1? Yes, I know the system can only support 5.1 speakers connected, but it can decode 7.1 and convert it to woks with a 5.1 setup like the Lifestyle systems can, correct?

Please can you be explicit on both of these parts @Keith_L  🙂

I don't have any information to share on future updates to what audio formats the system will be able to support. From how that post is worded, it does seem to be more focussed on, 'If we were to support Atmos, this is what would need changing' rather than a confirmation that it is definitely being planned in the future. They do seem to be discussing the potential, as we do not have any information about plans for Atmos support at this time.

It looks like the post has been edited by an admin after I raised this question and shared a link to the source.

It used to say:

"The Soundbars support Dolby Digitial HD. To be upgraded in the future for supporting Dolby Atmos/DTSX, a software and hardware update would be needed. However, the hardware update would only be parts such as the HDMI cable."

Now it says:

"The Soundbars support Dolby Digitial HD. We have no information if our current soundbars will be able to be upgraded to support Dolby Atmos/DTSX. If they were, it is most likely that a software and hardware update would be needed."

That's fine if plans change, but at least be clear that the post has been edited.

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

[Edited By Moderator]
The SB700/500 can decode:

• Via Fiber Optic/Toslink : DTS 5.1, DD5.1, & LPCM 2.0
  • Via HDMI eARC (assuming your TV can output it) : DTS 7.1, DD7.1, & LPCM 7.1

Correct?

Highlighted

Hey NeonsNight,

The Soundbar 700 can support DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 audio formats it can also support LPCM 5.1 when using an eARC connection. The Soundbar 500 does not support DTS, or LPCM 5.1 but does support DD 5.1 and LPCM 2.0. This is the same for both optical and HDMI inputs.

We do not officially support 7.1 sources on the Soundbar 500 or Soundbar 700. Assuming your TV can output this, your own experience when using this input type will vary. As it's not currently supported by either soundbar we're unable to comment on the success of audio playing.

Hope that this helps.

Kind Regards

Keith L

Highlighted
Advocate
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Keith_L wrote:

Hey NeonsNight,

The Soundbar 700 can support DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 audio formats. The Soundbar 500 does not support DTS, but does support DD 5.1 and LPCM 2.0. This is the same for both optical and HDMI inputs.

Ok I'm really glad I pushed for an explicit answer now as from your previous answer "The Soundbar 700 currently has support for LPCM, Dolby Digital and DTS to play up to a 5.1 signal." might have lead me to believe that it supported LPCM 5.1 also. 

At least now I know that no matter what you use, be it HDMI or Optical the sound will be EXACTLY the same as they both support DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 audio formats.

It is a pity that the system does not support any HD Audio sources, as they have been around for a while now and on consumer products since (at least) when Blu-Ray was introduced in 2006.

Thank you for a clear answer.