Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Re: SB700 & SoundBar HDMI Splitter (ARC discoveries)

So now it looks like the info that was given 10 months ago was incorrect 🤦‍♂️

https://community.bose.com/t5/Home-Theater/Soundbar-700-Multichannel-PCM/m-p/552340/highlight/true#M...

@Keith_L wrote:

Hey NeonsNight,

Thanks for your message. To clear this up for you, the Soundbar 700 does support LPCM 5.1, when using an eARC connection. This has been something the soundbar has supported since launch, not something that has been added as part of an update.

I do apologize that the information provided in our previous conversation on this was incorrect, and I've updated the previous posts that say otherwise. Thanks for bringing the conflicting information to our attention.

Can you guys please just give us a straight and correct answer the first time around 🤦‍♂️

Can you let us know if you can get LPCM 5.1 on the SB700 if your TV only supports ARC (not eARC)?

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

@Keith_L any assistance with my question?

Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Any assistance on this matter?

Highlighted

Hi NeonsNight,

It is only possible to get LPCM 5.1 when using an eARC connection. You would only get LPCM 2.0 with a standard HDMI-ARC connection, as multichannel PCM support requires an eARC HDMI connection.

I hope this helps clarify this for you!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Advisor
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Author Accepted Answer selected by NeonsNight

Here are the answers I received :

-----------------
Question 1

-----------------

1. "There is currently no way to see what format the soundbar is receiving, through the Bose Music app. The only way to find information on the audio format being used at this time is through the source device. 

The ability to find this information has been requested previously as a feature, and I will happily pass this along to our development team from yourself as well."

2. "The Soundbar 700 can support DTS 5.1, DD 5.1 and LPCM 2.0 audio formats it can also support LPCM 5.1 when using an eARC connection." "It is only possible to get LPCM 5.1 when using an eARC connection. You would only get LPCM 2.0 with a standard HDMI-ARC connection, as multichannel PCM support requires an eARC HDMI connection."

"The Soundbar 500 does not support DTS, or LPCM 5.1 but does support DD 5.1 and LPCM 2.0. This is the same for both optical and HDMI inputs."

1. "We do not officially support 7.1 sources on the Soundbar 500 or Soundbar 700. Assuming your TV can output this, your own experience when using this input type will vary. As it's not currently supported by either soundbar we're unable to comment on the success of audio playing."

"I don't have any information to share on future updates to what audio formats the system will be able to support."

-----------------
Question 2

-----------------

1. "We wouldn't be able to recommend any HDMI splitters for you. With 3rd party solutions like this, we can't make any suggestions as we would not be able to confirm how well they would work."

2. Luckily I found a splitter designed to work with a TV that does not have eARC while your speaker system does. The 4K Arcana 18Gbps. You can use it in conjunction with any HDMI device, even another HDMI switch if needed. Simply plug in the splitter and you can send full uncompressed 5.1 directly to the Soundbar 700.

The only downside is it is currently quite expensive. So you'd have to make up your mind if you'd want to spend that much to get uncompressed 5.1 or use the optical input and make do with standard 5.1.

Either way, if you don't have an eARC TV and your TV doesn't output 5.1 over ARC. I think it is best to use an external switch, with either optical out or using the Arcana eARC splitter, to ensure you are listing to 5.1 if you have already invested in a 5.1 setup.

"
Arcana allows ANY HDMI source FULL AUDIO to ANY eARC sound system for up to Dolby Atmos, Dolby TrueHD, Dolby MAT Atmos, DTS-X, DTS-HD Master Audio and older formats."

55-stretch-goal.jpg

"This setup will allow the transfer of full audio up to Atmos/TrueHD from several HDMI sources, the ARC signal for audio from the TV, and CEC volume control from the source or TV to [BOSE eArc].

• Connect all your sources to the HDMI inputs of your HDMI switcher and connect the HDMI switcher output to the Arcana HDMI input.
  • Connect the Arcana HDMI output to the TV ARC input and the Arcana eARC out to [BOSE eArc]."

View solution in original post