Community Manager

Re: Bose Smart Home Alexa Availability

Hi Cedric,

Thanks for the feedback.  We'll pass this info along to development.  In the mean time, the best place for the latest news regarding any of our products would be through our sticky posts in the Community.

Warm Regards,

Tony A 

StevenB71
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 26, 2018

Re: Soundbar 700 - Alexa setup

My amazon account integrated with Alexa on other products works fine.
Why not on the Soundbar 700 @bose ?
Tonya20a
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

Hi All,

In first place I just want to add myself to the angry crowd who bought a Soundbar 700 system but can’t use Alexa in my region as there is a region limitation on that, which was not correctly disclosed - plus 1 on that list...

BUT

I investigated a bit and realized that this is basically an Amazon limitation for device developpers:

https://developer.amazon.com/alexa-voice-service/international/ (so should not have to take weeks for support to collect the supported regions...)

As you can see there is a clear limitation in the service, that forbids the device builder to support other regions and forces them to make measures to have a region check in their solutions:

Quoted from the FAQ (see link bellow)

Q: Should users located outside of supported locales be allowed to use the service?
No, partners should implement logic in their OOBE to enforce supported locale restrictions. Further, the Amazon Alexa mobile application is not available for download in unsupported regions.

https://developer.amazon.com/docs/alexa-voice-service/faqs.html

1. On the other hand, it is also clear that BOSE overperformed the expected measures by far having a very rigid region check, which seems to be done by the Soundbar device itself instead by the BOSE Music app (where you can select whatever region, but it will not allow Alexa to work, as it is not checked there - I even tried to set up the device from my computer but it is also not featching reigon info from the browser or the computer one uses). This is a far unfavorable path compared to what other device maker (like Sonos) have chosen. You set the region on your profile and bang, you have an authorized device from a supported region the you are free to use Alexa on developers device outside of the supported region. This is also not against the rules set by Amazon as it is clearly stated in the FAQ linked above

“Q: What happens when an end user travels to an unsupported region with an AVS device registered in the UK, Germany, India, Japan, or US?
Once an end user has registered their product in a supported country or region, the device will work in any unsupported region. However, the device will only be able to access localized content from where the device is registered.”

2. The second point is something less controlable by the Device Developers, but there is a FORM on the first link, to ask for support in additional countries. I’m sure a company like BOSE could do a bit more to lift limitation on this rule.

SUMMARY:

1. I strongly recommend that BOSE support asks the developer team to lift the present practice of region control in the SmartHome device series to align it to the industry practice and as such make life easier for the end users with a strong disclimer that they will only reach services that are existing in the registered region of their device (I’m happy to take that, guess most of us are). PLEASE IMPLEMENT REGION CONTROL TAKING LOCALE DATA FROM THE REGISTERING DEVICE!

2. I would ask BOSE support to create sales statistics for their SmartHome product line registered in countries with ALEXA support but not on the present list of the Alexa Voice Services page for third party developpers. Please contact Amazon with this list and urge them to lift this limitation as soon as possible for BOSE MUSIC accounts (at least).

For anybody else. If you sign up for a VPN service to show your network in a supported region, that things should work. I’m travelling back to Austria for the festive season from Budapest. Should this not be solved I assume I have to take my soundbar with me to register, which is a nonsence (bought the system for EUR1799 and now I have to carry it back - I will be very, very upset if this will be required)

Sorry for the long post...

Toni

StevenB71
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 26, 2018

Hi Toni,
Best post so far regarding this major issue.
@bose Take note. And more importantly get this sorted out ASAP!!
Thanks.
Steve
McPikul
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Nov 4, 2018

Hi Toni, that great post, this is what I want explain here early in my few posts but you put that in right words. Thank mate and Bose should learn that lesson.
Highlighted
mahaboob.pasha@gmail.com
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 11, 2018

Hi
Thanks for the information
I just bought soundbar 700 in Saudi Arabia and I use English. Can bose atleast let us know when alexa and amazon prime will be available in saudi. So that I can wait or return the soundbar

Thanks
Mahboob

Hello Mahboob,

Thanks for the inquiry.

We will update the community when we have more information on expanding to other regions, but we don't want to set any false expectations on when that will be.

Kind Regards,

Joel 

Robert soo
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 8, 2018

“If a country is not listed, it does not support Alexa integration with Bose products.”

Then why are you SELLING Bose products outside of these countries???

I am in Singapore , imagine my frustration buying a S$600 speaker, intending to use as a clock & alarm... and discovering that because Alexa is not supported in Singapore, the alarm cannot be set up...

Pls withdraw products that are not supported , otherwise develop your own Bose application independently of Alexa !!!

Feeling ripped off !!!
Tonya20a
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Dec 7, 2018

“Theoretically”, if one buys a VPN service like CyberGhost, for 13USD but with 14 days money back guarantee, than one could set up a vpn connection to a supported country (like the US or UK), on one’s phone. One could set up 4g teathering (internet sharing) on that phone and one could start BoseMusic to set up a factory reseted Soundbar (Power + FFW). One should give the phone-s access point (phone still on the vpn connection) as wifi connection in the app during registration. In this case the app would think the unit is in a supported country and one could set up Alexa. After that, one could cancell the vpn service and get the 13USD fee refunded. One could reset the wifi settings for the Bose unit with the TV+Rewind button, access the Bose unit directlty via the Bose Soundbar access point on one’s phone (wifi settings) and writing http://192.168.0.1 in the browser of the phone if I remember correctly (no more VPN this time) and there one could set up one’s home wifi, though Alexa would remain in tact and the issue would be solved... 

Certainly it requires that you have created an Alexa account (in any supported country, but best is to use the VPN-ed phone for that as well)...

This is of course theory... Best is if you get up with your Bose unit and travell to a supported country 🙂

Regards,

Toni

way90
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 16, 2018

The suggested workaround using CyberGhost VPN free day trial seems to have worked on my new soundbar 700 and after some trial and error managed to get it to work from an "unsupported" region, Malta. In my case, the product had to be activated normally, while to get Alexa integration to work, the process was to set up a VPN (L2TP) connection to a supported region on my laptop and share that VPN connection via a wifi network hotspot. The soundbar needs to connect to a different wifi network (from non-VPN home network to the vpn wifi hotspot) by following https://www.bose.com/en_us/support/article/connecting-to-a-different-wi-fi-network-sb700.html. Once connected, one needs to navigate to Bose Music Voice Assistant Settings and follow through the setup. Finally reconnected to the non-VPN home wifi again and Alexa integration works fine.