mirghany
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 27, 2019

Smart Home Speaker 500 DLNA player

Hi,

Any plan for my home speaker 500 to play DLNA music content from my local lan home Synology NAS storage ?

Thanks

9 REPLIES 9
ybo
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 24, 2018

Re: Smart Home Speaker 500 DLNA player

Concerning to the soundbars i posed this question in october 2018. Result: Nothing. I think bose does not like commitments.

Moderator - Retired
Registered since

Feb 26, 2019

Hello Mirghany!

Thanks for reaching out to us, and welcome to the community!

At this current time, we do not have any plans to allow audio from music libraries on NAS drives or on hardrives. 

If this feature is expected to be added in the future, we will be sure to post an update on our main community page; which can be found here:

https://community.bose.com

I hope the above answers your question!

Thanks,

Liam

Community Support

DanEllisUK
Vocal Volunteer
Registered since

Oct 14, 2018

No plans to allow local audio to be played!  This is very sad to hear.

Highlighted
mirghany
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Feb 27, 2019

Thank you for reply , Sad to hear that

Drigga
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 21, 2019

That answer is 👎👎👎👎👎👎👎
dwframe
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Jul 26, 2019

DLNA or UPNP support for 500 Home speakers

I would really liike to be able to play music from my NAS attached to my router.  Is there any plans to support my local music collection on these new devices, with the new sotware? Thanks!

mike_b44
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 5, 2019

Re: DLNA or UPNP support for 500 Home speakers

Hello, 

Just got a home speaker 500. Really like it except the missing DLNA support which is really a shame for this kind of product.

I use plex server at home and would have really appreciated to access to my music either through DLNA or by a dedicated music service (note that it was existing on previous soundtouch products... So why not maintain it).

Last option for me would be chromecast integration (as plex app allows to stream to chromecast compatible devices).

For now I am forced to use the Bluetooth 😔. Let's hope bose will make something for people listening local music. 

mike_b44
Wistful Whisperer
Registered since

Dec 5, 2019

Just want to add a comment on this. I kept on testing the speaker and realized that the home bose speaker 500 supports DLNA indeed. I mean that the speaker itself is a DLNA Player. It means that it is possible to stream local music (stored on DLNA Server / NAS) through DLNA with third party app. I tested it successfully with mConnect Player and BubbleUPnP apps. 

However, those apps are not very stable and it is not very handy to switch from app to app to control its music. 

So, we are not so far from having a full DLNA Support. Bose "just" needs to implement the DLNA Controller feature on Bose Music App and everybody would be happy :). Please, Bose !

DennisL77
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Jan 3, 2020

I was looking to buy one of these Home 500 speakers, but not being able to play from my NAS is a real showstopper for me. I have my entire music collection converted to digital and it's on my NAS.... won't be buying something that is unable to play my own music collection.

I was under to assumption this would be supported, as the older soundtouch series do support this feature. Very very disappointing that these newer Home Speaker series don't support this.

Can't understand why Bose choose not to support this since they already have the technology at hand from the soundtouch series.....