Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
romulusmyfada
Collaborator
Registered since

Apr 3, 2020

Re: Smart Home Speaker + Soundbar - Alexa and Spotify Issue

I spoke with Bose tech support. They have received multiple calls on this and are working on it just thought I let you all know .

Good to know it's not a hardware issue but man I hope they fix it soon

evank9
Contributor
Registered since

Dec 20, 2019

@Sam_F I followed your steps and the problem has not been resolved. As soon as you ask Alexa to play music on Spotify the problem occurs, which is she plays nothing and then when you go into Spotify and look at the connected devices you see the Bose Soundbar flashing on and off. Also, then if you try and play music through the Bose Music app onto the soundbar you get nothing.

Dmunton
Participant
Registered since

Apr 17, 2020

I also am having exactly the same issue with my home speaker 500. Ask Alexa to play a track or playlist and the system freezes, if you go into the Spotify App the Bose speaker seems to be connecting/disconnecting very quickly. I switch off at the wall and back on again to unfreeze the unit. Interestingly, if you just say “play Spotify” it starts playing what was last played using the Bose app with no issues. As soon as you ask for an artist or track name or playlist, then the problems occur. I have also reset everything to factory default and setup as a new device, with no success to the problem.

Lee B
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

Spent all night last night deleting and restoring to no avail. Really annoying!!
I have a Bose home 500 speaker. As previously stated (but repeating to ensure Bose recognise it as a significant issue affecting many users) Spotify will not play when requesting through Alexa. I have other Alexa enabled devices (echo dots) and there is no issue performing the same requests through them, just through the Bose home 500 speaker. It responds verbally, the top bar flashes and the Spotify logo continually pulses and disappears replaced by a rectangular box. The only way to clear this is turning it off and on at the plug. When looking on Spotify the source (in my case named speaker) continuously flickers and moves about. I can play music from Spotify from the app or a preset, but not via Alexa, the main reason I bought the speaker to replace my Soundtouch. Currently this product is not fulfilling the requirement for which it was intended. So PLEASE prioritise and rectify ASAP Bose, thanks. 

Gottamoveit
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 15, 2020

Re: Speaker freezes when I ask Alexa play music from Spotify

Music began playing from Spotify after leaving as is for ~40minutes.  Bose needs to resolve the bug. Options offered thus far have not resolved the issue. 

ashmyer
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

This suddenly started happening to me a few days ago, going bananas trying to get this working.

It seems something either Bose/Spotify/Amazon have done in the background to cause this to break. 

So far I've tried everything I can think of:

Reset Bose 500 Home speaker back to factory settings

Removed and re-added Alexa Voice Link

Asked Spotify to forget the speaker

Un-linked and re-linked Spotify back to Alexa App

Restarted router

The Bose 500 Home Speaker responds to Alexa commands but when you ask Alexa to play a song from Spotify it flashes the Spotify logo and the light bar above it just flashes non-stop.

On the Spotify app the Bose 500 Speaker keeps flicking between other enabled speakers in the house non Bose. 

It's impossible to stop unless you pull the plug on Bose 500 Speaker.

Bose please fix this asap or it's going back for a refund. I love this speaker but at the moment it's just a brick!

dmac80
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2020

It's got to be something specific to bose music app, the firmware and or spotify. I am using google and it's the same issue. Home portable Speaker is on the same wifi, it responds to google assistant commands but often will not play a spotify song. When the issue occurs spotify wont connect to the speaker from inside its app. Bose music app may or may not connect to speaker and wont connect to spotify. Linking, unlinking, rebooting doesnt help.  Then suddenly it starts working again. If no fix from bose this week it's going back for another brand. **bleep** shame. 

KW567
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

I am having the same issue when I try to play spotify using Alexa on my Bose Home Speaker 500.

I had been using this function for months with no issue, then suddenly a few days ago I am unable to play songs on Spotify. When I ask Alexa to play a song, it will say "playing XXX", then the white light just continues flashing indefinitely and it starts ignoring all my commands. The system seems to freeze. On a few occasions a song started playing hours later in the middle of the night. I am not sure if the issue is with Alexa or Bose, but I have two echo dots that have been working fine to play Spotify, so seems like the issue is with Bose. This is extremely frustrating as I almost exclusively use the speaker to play Spotify. Without this function, its just a really expensive brick that occasionally sets timers for me; my 30$ echo dot is much more useful at this point.

I have tried all of the possible solutions mentioned in this thread including:

Unplugging speaker, leaving off for 10 minutes, then plugging back in

Restoring speaker to factory settings multiple times

Deleting and reinstalling the Bose app, Alexa app, Spotify app

Removing the spotify access from my Bose and Alexa apps, then re-logging in

Logging in and out of spotify and amazon accounts

None of this worked. I am ready to throw this speaker out the window. I hope there is a fix soon.

dmac80
Contributor
Registered since

Apr 17, 2020

I've seen many threads for different model Bose speakers having issues with spotify. I should note that bluetooth and other smart assistant features (google assistant for me) work fine while spotify does not. Everyone has tried all the steps of clearing cache and data from the apps and unlinking everything (google, Alexa, bose music app, spotify app). Factory reset of speaker. This works sometimes but often not and then the problem just goes away for a few hours or a day only to return. Bose better be working on a fix or I'm returning my my home portable. 

Rebooting my speaker by holding the play/pause button for 10 seconds has worked both times now to fix the issue on the spot. After lights blink to reboot i wait a few seconds for it to settle in then spotify works right away . I saw this in a thread about the home portable and spotify from a bose rep responding. 

This is a WORKAROUND but hopefully it helps others. I am unsure if other bose speakers and soundbar have a similar button (my model is home portable) to reboot but this works for me for now. BOSE please fix or its going back for competitor. 

deepinon
Participant
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

I have bose 700 soundbar and have the same issue for a few days.

The issue being the soundbar stops responding when asked to play songs from Spotify via Alexa. The soundbar becomes completely useless until its power is switched off and on. On restart everything works fine including playing music from amazon music when requested through Alexa. I can stream music from spotify app to bose soundbar. But as soon as you ask Alexa to play music from Spotify, the soundbar stops responding needing power reset again. When I change the voice assistant to google, Spotify works ok but unable to make amazon music work. 

I prefer to have Alexa as sound assistant as it can change the sound source via voice command rather than searching for remote, whereas google assistant cannot do this. When the soundbar is not responding, it does not connect to the bose app either.

The other issue I have noted is when I ask Alexa to play a radio channel, for example, BBC radio one, it plays fine, but I am not able to pause or stop the music via voice command which I was able to do before.

Comming to troubleshooting, I have an echo device at home which works fine with Spotify. So the issue appears to be specific to Alexa sound assistant and Spotify on bose soundbar. Without any recent firmware update to the soundbar nor the app, I can only assume its some changes in the backend, either with bose, or Spotify that is the issue.

I have tried all the recommendations mentioned in this thread including,

-forced firmware update to the soundbar by pressing the music icon for 10 seconds and restart.

- remove Spotify and add again in both Alexa app and bose app

- de-register Alexa and add again

But nothing has worked so far.

Please sort this out as soon as possible as I use the soundbar mainly to listen to music from Spotify.

I live in UK and have been using the soundbar and 700 bass module for a few months without any issues.