Notice

The Bose Community Forum was launched at a time when robust online support was not available for Bose customers. Over the past several years we have added new online service channels that provide a more interactive and complete digital experience. Additionally, we have enhanced the My Bose Account capabilities to deliver a more personalized and self-service experience. As a result, Bose has made the decision to close Community Forum for Consumer electronics products on September 30th. The Bose Pro portion of the Community will still operate as usual.

Please visit our support homepage to experience one of our many other digital service channels or simply use your Community log-in credentials to sign in to your My Bose Account to view your orders and view support options.

Thank you to all who have contributed and benefited from interacting in our Community. We look forward to continuing to serve you online.

Regards,
Bose Customer Service Team
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
GregMe
Participant
Registered since

Jan 14, 2021

Smart Soundbar 300 Connection to an LG TV

Bose product name

Smart Soundbar 300

Country

Australia

Firmware Version

App Version

What devices were you using that were affected and what version are they on (e.g. Samsung Galaxy S9 on Android 11, iPhone X on iOS14, etc.)
LG TV

Detailed description of the issue and steps to reproduce

I am attempting to connect the Smart Soundbar 300 to my LG TV.

If I use the ARC/CEC HDMI connection, the soundbar will turn on, can adjust the volume using the LG remote control, but The sound bar will not allow the TV to turn off unless I use the Bose remote. 

If I connect the Soundbar via the optical cable, the tv will turn on, auto wake the soundbar but will not allow the TV remote to turn the volume up or down (plus the volume is very low) I have to use the Bose app to turn up the volume.

I do not want to use the Bose remote  or the bose app while watching tv. I just want the sound to come out of the soundbar while watching tv

There are no instructions to connect a standard LG remote to the soundbar to contro volume

If I have been watching TV, and turn it off, Spotify connect will not connect. then if I manage to get it connecting by rebooting, I have to reboot the soundbar to get it to play with the tv.

What environment do you experience the issue in? (e.g. noisy office, quiet kitchen, etc.)

na

When did you start to experience the issue? Did it work correctly previously?

when I plugged it in

Any troubleshooting steps you took

rebooting everything

plugging from ARC to optical cable and back again. I do not want to use bluetooth

9 REPLIES 9
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Smart Soundbar 300 Connection to an LG TV

Hi GregMe,

Welcome to the Community, thanks for joining us!

If you want to control the soundbar using the standard LG remote while watching TV, you would need to use an HDMI-ARC connection, unless the LG remote is a universal remote that can be programmed to control the soundbar. When you have the soundbar connected to the TV with the HDMI cable, you can send HDMI-CEC commands between the TV and soundbar for power and volume control.

As when you use the HDMI connection the TV does not seem to turn off with its own remote, I'd recommend changing the HDMI-CEC settings on the soundbar. To change the CEC settings, what you need to do is:

• In the Bose Music app, tap the image of the soundbar in the lower-right corner
    • If the image is a different product, tap the My Bose icon in the upper-left corner, select the speaker, then tap the image of the speaker in the lower-right corner
  • Tap Settings
  • Scroll down to the Power section, then tap Advanced CEC
  • Tap the circle next to the desired option to select it:
    • On (default setting)
    • Off
    • Alternate

Try all 3 of these settings to see which gives you the best control of your soundbar and TV from the TV remote. I've found that LG TVs tend to like having the soundbar set to Alternate but it is worth trying the others as well.

Let me know how you get on!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
GregMe
Participant
Registered since

Jan 14, 2021

Hello, thank you for your help, I did a reset of the Soundbar, went through the install process, I did not pair my phone with the soundbar via bluetooth.

I plugged in my HDMI ARC connection. The LG Tv set itself to ARC. I set the Bose App settings for CEC to the "Alternate" setting as you suggested. I could turn on the Tv, adjust the volume up and down, power off the TV. Woohoo. All good, better than before as I could turn off the TV.

Then I connected the Soundbar to my Spotify app on my android phone (not spotify in the bose app, which is fairly dull). Started to play some music, selected the soundbar, stopped the music and turned off the spotify connection to the soundbar. All good .

I then turn on the TV, and there is no sound......hmmm not good. I went into the "home" part of the Bose App, select the soundbar icon, select audio source which has bluetooth highlighted , selected TV.  Hey presto, it all works again. 

If I pick up the Bose remote control, pushing the TV button turns on the TV Sound, the bluetooth button does nothing, the music button turns on whatever was playing on Spotify. The Bose App only offers TV and bluetooth, but no music source.

So essentially  if my wife wants to hear anything on the TV, if she cannot just uses the TV remote, she has to find the bose remote if she does not hear any sound, not useful

Is there any way that we can find a setting that has the soundbar know when the TV turns on and automatically selects the source to TV. I am guessing the optical cable will suffer the same problem as the HDMI ARC/CEC. 

I have investigate  the following

I turn off Bluetooth on my phone, go back into my spotify app, wonderful music again, so I conclude spotify does not connect to the soundbar by bluetooth. 

Turn on the TV again, the "google assistant" on the soundbar knew nothing about the "setting the Source to  Tv" "Sorry I do not understand" (, but strangely could set the TV input to the Google Cast device hdmi port).

When replying to a topic, make sure your reply is relevant and keeps the conversation productive. Please be respectful of other community member's opinions. If you are experiencing the issue reported in a thread, the more details you can include the easier it will be for others to try and help.

Nikos Pap
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2021

Could you please help me as to how to get sound from my smart soundbar 300 with hdmi arc connection to the LG smart tv? I think i have tried every available option but no sound…only via optical. Thank you in advance.

Jeff_G

Hi Nikos, 

I'd be happy to help. 

Can you please confirm the model number of the TV? 

I'll look forward to hearing from you.

EDIT: I've noticed you posted this same question on another thread. I have removed that post to prevent duplicate posting, and will be happy to assist here. You noted you have a LG UK 6100. I've checked online and can see the ARC on your TV is on HDMI 2. Can you please check that you have plugged the HDMI cable into that input? 

Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Nikos Pap
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2021

Thank you Jeff for your reply.

Yes the cable is in HDMI 2 marked as ARC, i also have made all necessary adjustments on sound output that is optical/hdmi arc, cec set to on etc. I have unplugged and plugged it back several times but no sound….on the bose music app i have tried all three cec options (on,off and alternate) but no sound at all. Only the optical method works but i prefer the hdmi…As next measure i am considering resetting the tv to the factory adjustments. If the result is the same i will try to connect the soundbar to a friend’s Samsung smart TV…feeling disappointed so far but thank you Jeff for your assistance.

Another thing i noticed is that while it normally works via optical and i plug the HDMI cable in the sound stops. I don’t really know if this means anything. 

Thank you again.

Hector_B

Thanks for updating us on this Nikos. 

We look forward to hearing back from you with these further tests! I'd recommend that we also test another HDMI cable with this current setup to ensure that this isn't the route of the issue. 

We will also want to check to see what audio format the TV is trying to use, LG has a very handy article on this that we can follow here

Please do keep us updated on the result of your tests 😊

Nikos Pap
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2021

Tested on a friend’s Samsung and worked perfectly…

I ‘ll keep trying with my LG although it seems that the WEBos software is incompatible with the sounbar's.

Thank you for your reply. 

Any ideas appreciated 

Nikos Pap
Participant
Registered since

Jul 26, 2021

Hello 

My Bose smart soundbar 300 which i had problem connecting it to a LG tv via hdmi ARC (no sound from the soundbar) worked with a Samsung which supports eARC. 

Does this mean that the Bose Smart Soundbar 300 supports eARC so it can be connected only with eARC supporting TVs?

Regards 

Nikos

Sam_F

Hey Nikos,

I'm pleased you were able to get your soundbar up and running. The Smart Soundbar 300 supports HDMI ARC and eARC, so should work with TVs supporting both connections. Do let us know if you have any other product queries!