floooowk
Collaborator
Registered since

Jan 14, 2019

Smart Soundbar 300 : poor microphone sensitivity with Google Assistant

Hello,

I purchased the Bose Smart Soundbar 300, to replace my Bose Home Speaker and get better sound for my TV, while maintaining the benefits of a connected speaker. However, I find that the sensitivity of the microphone with Google Assistant is much lower than with the Home Speaker. Sometimes I have to repeat "OK Google" several times. And when I'm watching TV, even if the "OK Google" is understood and the soundbar turns down the volume to listen to my voice commands, it doesn't react, as if I hadn't asked for anything. Sometimes I have to shout or turn off the TV to get my commands carried out.

Is there a way to increase the sensitivity of "OK Google"? Is there a way to make the soundbar understand my commands better without shouting or turning off the TV? Is there a feature for the volume to be turned down further when I say a voice command?

As it stands, I'm quite disappointed, I feel like I've lost quality vs. the Home Speaker 500, especially on the voice assistant and the microphone quality.

Thanks in advance for your help,

1 REPLY 1
Keith_L
Community Manager

Re: Smart Soundbar 300 : poor microphone sensitivity with Google Assistant

Hi floooowk,

There isn't any way to adjust the sensitivity of the microphones for Google Assistant on the soundbar, or the amount the volume decreases when it is listening, but there are some tests and steps you can take to make sure it is working correctly and understanding your commands.

As you mentioned that it will sometimes not respond to the "OK Google" wake command as well as your other commands, do you get a better response from the assistant if you activate it using the action button (icon in the shape of a circle) on top of the soundbar? Will it respond to your commands more consistently if you use the action button?

One thing I would definitely recommend doing to make sure everything is working correctly is a reset of the soundbar. To perform a reset, turn the soundbar off then disconnect it from power for at least 30 seconds before plugging it back in. Once the white light on the front finishes blinking, test the voice assistant again and let me know if you see any improvements!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
Come check out my profile here. New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!