Highlighted
Lead Community Manager

Re: Smart Speaker Firmware Update - Nov 2019

@vineryap Absolutely. I've updated the original post with the version numbers. Hope this helps!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out the Getting Started board.
Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
If you see a post you like, make sure to give it a thumbs up!
Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Jan 31, 2019

In the release I see: On November 13th, an automatic update will be made that will give you access to additional features.

Can you already be more specific about what the additional features will be?

I see a update from firmware version 5.x.x to version 6.x.x, normally +1 in the first digit of a version means a large update, but the only thing I see is a very short release list. Is this all... 

Highlighted
Enthusiast
Registered since

Feb 2, 2019

Also, I’d like an explanation as to what “Improvements for Alexa to mute audio while responding to commands and receiving notifications” means. Does that mean we can now leave the mic on and have the soundbar listening for commands and mute Alexa’s responses at the same time?

Highlighted

Hi Itsjustmeee, 

Thank you for posting and reaching out to us about this today. 

The update made some "Ducking" improvements for Alexa which basically allows the voice assistant to mute audio content when responding to commands. 

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions about this please do let me know. 

Kind Regards, 

Hector B 

Help others find answers to your questions by clicking on 'Accept as Solution' at the bottom of a reply.
Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Oct 13, 2019

@Hector_B, @Wayne_M , @Anne_S 

Now the HDMI topic is being dealt separately, can you please consider the Spotify vs Airplay issue plaguing Portable Home Speaker and other Home Speaker products?

People took time to give detailed reports of the issue, ways to reproduce it, and it would be appreciated this is acknowledged, and some effort is being put into resolving this (I do not think this is yet solved by latest update).

We are eagerly looking forward your feedback.

Thanks for consideration.

Highlighted
Collaborator
Registered since

Dec 4, 2018

SyXbiT - you are right. more emphasis is given on the Alexa improvements. Bose forgot that it is a speaker first, smart speaker second. having to do so many resets, and each firmware update causing issues one after the other to basic speaker functionality, I think this product line can be rechristened  UNSMART SOUNDBARS.

@bose - when it works the sound is good. but it hardly works. get your software design and software testing to speed. looks like there is no emphasis on software quality.

again, support doesn't update anything on the remote lights going off. how hard it is to issue a product recall on the remote and replace it.

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2019

This firmware update broke the universal remote. When navigating my Samsung TV it always registers two clicks for a single press. This did never occur in previous firmware’s. I have since long buried my original remote which I really wish I would have kept. 

What ever you did, please release a hot fix. 

Highlighted

Hello risnejr,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Bose Community.

I'm sorry to hear that since the update your remote is behaving incorrectly. 

I'd first recommend resetting your soundbar. To do this, please remove power for 30 seconds.

If this shows no improvement, then I would recommend removing your TV from the remotes pairing within the Bose Music app. To do this, go to Settings > Under Universal Remote click 'TV' > Remove. Then go through the pairing process again.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Warm regards,

Charlotte G 

Highlighted
Participant
Registered since

Nov 13, 2019

Hi, thanks for the quick reply. 

I have done both of them already, several times, with no success. I have spent the last hours trying to pin point why. The only thing left that makes sense is the firmware update. 

Is there a way for me to roll it back? 

Highlighted

Hello risnejr, 

Thanks for attempting these steps. 

It is not possible to roll back any firmware on your device. Do you have anything else paired to the remote? If so, have you noticed any difference in controlling those devices?

Please, could you try replacing the batteries in the remote?

I'd also recommend that you reset your TV by removing power for 30 seconds.

Let me know the outcome!

Warm regards,

Charlotte G