Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cruzy75
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2021

Smart portable speaker - Aux connectivity

Hello all!

I was about to buy 2 Bose home portable speakers but found out that they have no Aux connectivity, no Jack port, no music through usb-c which seems truly strange for a premium speaker.
Nothing can replace a cable, efficient, no connexion issue and above all, "high quality sound", i only listen to Hi-res music..

My questions :

-Do you know if this lack can can be fixed through a firmware update that will allow music output through USB-c?

- Or maybe a portable home speaker 2 will be released soon with that option? If yes, when?

I wantto know if i should wait for a "version 2" or buy from an other brand.
The revolve + is not an option as the design feels very cheap to me.

Thank you!

2 REPLIES 2
Morlock
Expert
Registered since

Dec 4, 2016

Re: Smart portable speaker - Aux connectivity

I can't say for certain, but I suspect the answer to those USB questions is no for the following reasons:

• It is designed from the bottom up as a wireless speaker.  Streaming is thier focus, and as with other technologies sometimes convenience and popularity outweigh quality (VHS vs Beta, BD Vs HDDVD).
  • Only a couple of Bose speakers (around 4 I think) have had this ability in the last 6-10 years.  The first couple had it because they were computer speakers (the companion series), the next couple had it because they were replacing the computer speakers (Soundlink Revolves). 
  • Many phones (which are currently the main source of music no longer have headphone ports.
  • Even connecting to a computer for stored music is on the decline.

So considering it's not something they have had a large focus on previously, I doubt they will put much focus on it in future.

As for Aux, it's probably a simple thing to do  But it's whether they consider the market is there for them.  Seeing that the last two speakers they released in that range (HS300/PHS) removed the Aux, there's probably a trend to move away from aux.

Cruzy75
Participant
Registered since

May 10, 2021

Re: Smart portable speaker - Aux connectivity

Thank you for your answer Morlock, this is disappointing..

No APTX and no Aux shows that high quality sound is not their concern.
I guess i'll have to ask an engineer if he can make that happen (Aux through Usb-c).
If think of someone, please let me know,