Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

So tired of AirPlay failures on Home Speaker 500

AirPlay 2 works, then fails. I need to Repeat the Wifi setup to get it back. Repeat ... over and over and over and over ...

... not acceptable Bose

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Sep 24, 2019

Re: So tired of AirPlay failures on Home Speaker 500

Quality control is a joke

Highlighted

Hi Safendoulis,

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community!

You certainly shouldn't need to keep re-adding your speaker to your Wi-Fi network to use Airplay on your HomeSpeaker, so let's look at getting this sorted together.

When Airplay does stop working for you, does it cut out while you are using it? Or is it the case that some times when you go to use it, the speaker won't start playing?

Also, when Airplay is not working are you able to control the speaker from the Bose Music app at all? Or does this stop working as well?

As you mentioned you have to re-add the speaker to the Wi-Fi to get it to work currently, what other troubleshooting have you tried when the speaker stops working? It will be useful to help narrow down where the issue is occurring.

I look forward to hearing from you so we can get to the bottom of this together!

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

Thanks Keith.

You won't believe this, but I had to move apartments yesterday and dropped the speaker. I smashed it and was very angry at myself. I am living in a serviced apartment hotel in Manila and downgraded my apartment as I have been furloughed. The hotel bellboy was helping me move and I specifically told him I'd take the speaker last. Picked it up and the cord got caught, bang top broke off and the guts came out of the shield! This speaker is my lifeline under lockdown in this hotel, I listen to radio stations in New Zealand where I'm from and get some loud music going in the evenings to keep me sane. Gone.

I decided to have a crack at putting it back together figuring it must be connectors come apart. The tabs the top screws on to had broken but otherwise it was in tact. I assembled it outside the shell and it worked! After many fiddly and frustrating attempts I got it back together and working! 

I think once the lockdown is over I'll just buy another one and have this one repaired. I can use an extra one at home in New Zealand. 

Anyway, sorry for the drama but I was devastated my connection with the outside world was no more. 

Back to the AirPlay 2 issue:

"You certainly shouldn't need to keep re-adding your speaker to your Wi-Fi network to use Airplay on your HomeSpeaker, so let's look at getting this sorted together."

- Agreed. It's frustrating

"When Airplay does stop working for you, does it cut out while you are using it?"

- Yes, this happens from multiple devices: 2 iPhones, a MacBook ... but can happen using BT too from Apple and Androids

"Or is it the case that some times when you go to use it, the speaker won't start playing?"

- This does happen, but many times the speaker can't be found as an AirPlay device so you can't connect at all. If you start playing and it drops the speaker disappears as an AirPlay device and as I said earlier the only way to get it back is repeat the Wi-Fi set-up. 

"Also, when Airplay is not working are you able to control the speaker from the Bose Music app at all? Or does this stop working as well?"

- Correct you can't connect from the app and that is what triggered me to do the manual Wi-Fi set-up over again, then the speaker is back there again. 

"As you mentioned you have to re-add the speaker to the Wi-Fi to get it to work currently, what other troubleshooting have you tried when the speaker stops working? It will be useful to help narrow down where the issue is occurring."

- Since I lose the Bose app I can't do anything much to troubleshoot (I'm 30 years in software), I can generally switch BT still but that has it's issues too and it's what I want at all. The radio presets still work too. I have turned the power off and on again: sometime that causes the AirPlay to come back so I do that as a first step and if it doesn't work I repeat the Wi-Fi set-up.

Thanks - Steve

Highlighted
Silent Starter
Registered since

Apr 18, 2020

Anything happening on this? 3 weeks of silence. 

Is it possibly jumping onto another Wifi network?

I swear I want to throw this damned thing through the window at this point.