JXbrad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Solo tv speaker bluetooth connection works but sound issues

Purchased the Bose Solo TV soundbar Model 418775 at a big box store and all works well except for the sound when I'm connected via bluetooth. When I play Tunein radio (or anything) on the system via bluetooth the music seems to "stutter" or skip in the sound every 5 to 8 seconds. 

I don't have any problems with connectivity to other bluetooth enabled devices including my other Bose speakers (SoundLink Color II) when listening to Tunein or Amazon music or my own playlists from all of my Android devices.

Could this be a firmware version issue? 

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted

Re: Solo tv speaker bluetooth connection works but sound issues

Hello JXbrad, 

Thank you for reaching out via the Bose Community. Welcome to the site!

I'm sorry to hear you are having issues with Bluetooth playback issues. 

If you haven't already, may I suggest clearing the Bluetooth device list on the speaker and pairing your Android device again? If possible, try pairing another device to see if the same issue occurs on the speaker. 

If the issue persists, you can try to update the firmware as this may help. LINK [Firmware Update]

Be sure to let me know how you get on. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G - Community Support

Feel more. Do more. Be more.
New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
JXbrad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Thanks for your quick reply. 

It happens to all of my devices, Samsung TAB A, Galaxy S7, S9, LG850 phones, etc. But no issues those same devices connected to my other Bose speakers. 

Question,  is my Solo soundbar similar to the Solo 5 soundbar?  I can't find anything on the Bose site search when I enter my serial number or model number. 

If they are not the same then how do I find the correct firmware version? 

Highlighted

Hey JXbrad, 

Thanks for getting back to me. 

This certainly sounds abnormal. I hope updating the firmware fixes the problem. Failing that, I'd return to the point of sale to seek an exchange or refund. 

With regards to the Solo model-type, If you purchased from somewhere like Costco, then yes, it is almost identical. You will be fine to apply the update issued on the link I provided. 

Kind regards, 

Jeff G

New to the community? Check out our Community Guidelines and How to use the Bose Community for helpful hints on getting started.
Highlighted
JXbrad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

I unpaired all devices that were connected and cleared the soundbar's paired list as suggested. I re-paired only my Amazon echo dot and I'm not having any problems!

Is it possible that and older device (LG850 cell phone) could have corrupted the soundbar's bluetooth connection? 

Thanks for your help and I'll update you on any new developments. 

Jack

Highlighted
JXbrad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

I unpaired all devices that were connected and cleared the soundbar's paired list as suggested. I re-paired only my Amazon echo dot and I'm not having any problems!

Is it possible that and older device (LG850 cell phone) could have corrupted the soundbar's bluetooth connection? 

Thanks for your help and I'll update you on any new developments. 

Jack

Highlighted
JXbrad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Day 3 after deleting the paired list and pairing only a single device (echo dot) I'm starting to experience the same issues. Everything was working but out of nowhere the soundbar started to produce periodic breaks in the music.

Next step is to flash the firmware with the latest version but I need to find a thumbdrive to do this update.

Will post after I perform the update.

Highlighted
JXbrad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

Attempted to update firmware but failed. Following the instructions from Bose, I copied the patch file I downloaded to a USB 3.0 thumbdrive.  I powered the soundbar off, inserted the thumbdrive into the service port and plugged in the power cord into the soundbar. 

Nothing happened.  It should have been recognized and started to update the firmware. Nope. Tried a few times though the troubleshooting steps say to plug in the thumbdrive after the power is connected.  Either way,  no luck.

I contacted tech support and he gave me the following info:

1. This bose model doesn't recognize USB 3.0 drives which is what I used

2. There is no update available for this model as it isn't a true Solo 5 soundbar.  I bought it at either Costco or BJs last year.

3. It could cost me $99 +sh to fix but that would not be an option since I only paid that much to purchase it originally. 

4. Just to be sure, Bose is sending a USB 2.0 thumbdrive with the firmware on it just to eliminate the possibility that the soundbar wasn't properly flashed at the factory. 

The only other possible cause according to the support person would be my wifi connection on my home network. Could be but none of my other Bose speakers experience this issue and I have four different Bose devices throughout the house. 

The support person said it will take 7-10 business days to arrive. 

Highlighted

Hi JXBRad,

Thank you for providing that update.

Hopefully, the update file will do the trick, but there are some other things we can consider as well.

Given this is just happening with the one speaker, it is possible that there may be some interference with the Bluetooth signal to the speaker.

Do you have many other wireless devices next to the soundbar? Like your Router, or a wireless printer? 

If we do have wireless devices nearby, try turning them off and see if the connection improves.

Let us know how you get on with that and the update.

Kind Regards,

Keith L

Highlighted
JXbrad
Quiet Contributor
Registered since

Dec 18, 2019

The TV sound bar is connected to my Samsung TV and there are no other wireless devices nearby.

Everyone in the house has a wifi-enabled and bluetooth-enabled cell phone which is probably on but no one is connected to the soundbar but the echo dot and before that was installed,  my Samsung Galaxy 7 cell phone.

Wifi and bluetooth are different technologies,  so why would deleting the paired list on the soundbar and connecting devices temporarily fix the issue if it was a wifi issue?