Sorry, that device is offline (Alexa, spotify, soundbar 700)

SOLVED
Audible Advocate

Sorry, that device is offline (Alexa, spotify, soundbar 700)

Every time I ask Alexa to play something from Spotify Premium on my Soundbar 700, Alexa confirms that she is about to play the playlist or artist, then immediately says "sorry, that device is offline". However, I can play spotify by choosing playlists/artists in the Bose Music app or the Spotify app (selecting my soundbar as the device); Alexa responds correctly to other request (eg, the weather); the "Bose (not for SoundTouch)" skill is enabled in the Alexa app and the soundbar is reported as online by the Alexa app.

Any suggestions to fix this? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Audible Advocate

Re: Sorry, that device is offline (Alexa, spotify, soundbar 700)

So I thought I'd call Bose to see what their support is like. The Bose rep was very nice and effectively provided the old solution: "have you tried turning it off and back on again?" Actually, I had tried that, but she suggested leaving it off for a full two minutes. I had previously only left it off for a few seconds. After the 2 minutes, I tried again and the problem was solved.

10 REPLIES
Audible Advocate

Yea im getting the same issue when asking for preset music from TuneIn. 

Audible Advocate

So I thought I'd call Bose to see what their support is like. The Bose rep was very nice and effectively provided the old solution: "have you tried turning it off and back on again?" Actually, I had tried that, but she suggested leaving it off for a full two minutes. I had previously only left it off for a few seconds. After the 2 minutes, I tried again and the problem was solved.

Hello PercyBottle,

Thank for the posts and sharing the solution with the community. I'm sure this will be beneficial to others as well.

Warm Regards,

Joel - Community Support

Hello ryan.maasburg,

Thanks for posting.

Is this issue still occurring for you after the suggested reset?

Let us know.

Warm Regards,

Joel 

Audible Advocate

HI Joel,

Ill test it again tonight and let you know 

thanks

Audible Advocate

Hi Joel,

I unplugged the sound bar for 2 min and restarted it, I’m still experiencing the same issue. Asked Alexa to play triple M Melbourne and got a reply “that device is offline”

Hi ryan.maasburg,

Thanks for the update.  Have you been able to reboot the network by unplugging power from the router for 30 seconds?  Since this is a cloud based interaction, this may help with the performance.  Also, do you have a secondary Smart Home speaker, and does this issue happen to it as well?

Let us know so we can further assist!

Warm Regards,

Tony A

Audible Advocate

Hi Tony, 

Thanks for getting back to me. To be honest i spent about nearly 2 hours last night rtying to troubleshoot and i think it may be linked to my other topic i posted about. Yes i do have another device near by (speaker 500 about 7m away in my kitchen). The issue is that the speaker 500 doesnt respond at all even when im right next to it and the soundbar responds wih "the device is offline". I did the following last night:

1. Rebooted both the soundbar and speaker - Unplugged for 2 min - This didnt fix the problem

2. Deregistered both the speaker and the soundbar from Alex app as well as the bose music app - This appeard to temporarily fix the "device is offline" issue but then resulted in a number of other issues including soundbar not responding at all.

3. Deregistered all devices again and rebooted again - was able to register Alexa on the speaker 500 but could not get the soundbar registered.

I now currently have Alexa disabled on both the Speaker 500 and Soundbar. and will look at it agian tonight when i get home

Highlighted
Quiet Contributor

Hi 

I have the same issue, I follow all the steps.

I even deregister the app from Alexa, from Soundtouch App iOS, Use Wifi, Use Ethernet, Change the name of the device Reboot.

It doesn't work. "That device is offline" whereas Alexa just detected it and add it to his device.

HELP please.