ThierryB
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

Re: Sounbar 700 Firmware Update 4.0.9 sound drops out for a micro second.

@Raiden wrote:

@Andy_B  2-5 AM USA time or local time?

Local.

Stuart1
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 26, 2019

Hi all is the update out in uk thinking of buying soundbar back if the audio dropouts are fixed.please let me know much appreciate thanks

VertigoMitch
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Jun 12, 2019

@Stuart1 wrote:

Hi all is the update out in uk thinking of buying soundbar back if the audio dropouts are fixed.please let me know much appreciate thanks

It should now be released to everyone and you can force a firmware update by resetting the Soundbar 700 to factory default and running through the setup again. The issue is now corrected, however, it now introduces an HDMI CEC issue where certain TVs which require CEC to tell the TV that an ARC or eARC device is connected will no longer handshake with the soundbar resulting in either no volume controls or at worse, no audio. The only resolution is to use an optical cable or turn off CEC on the Bose app and force the TV to use ARC but you will need to use the universal remote to switch the soundbar on and control the volume unless you have a third-party remote which can handle it for you. Be wary.

ThierryB
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

@VertigoMitch wrote:

@Stuart1 wrote:

It should now be released to everyone and you can force a firmware update by resetting the Soundbar 700 to factory default and running through the setup again. The issue is now corrected, however, it now introduces an HDMI CEC issue where certain TVs which require CEC to tell the TV that an ARC or eARC device is connected will no longer handshake with the soundbar resulting in either no volume controls or at worse, no audio. The only resolution is to use an optical cable or turn off CEC on the Bose app and force the TV to use ARC but you will need to use the universal remote to switch the soundbar on and control the volume unless you have a third-party remote which can handle it for you. Be wary.

The sound dropout seem betterm although I did hear one... (I have had the new firmware only for 24H).

However v5.0.12 has indeed brocken completely ARC/CEC... I had to power overthing off twice already because I had no sound anymore through HDM-ARC.

I naively attempted to do a factory reset and reset everything from scratch...

This didn't recolve anything, I had no sound still, but now on top the remote cannot pair anymore with the soundbar which means I cannot even reset the soundbar anymore/change source or anything.

Even clearing the blutooth memory in the remote and attempting to repair failed.

I am left with controling my TV/soundbar with my TV remote through optical cable, and no way to power off the soundbar / change input or reset it...

This is ridiculous...

How can this be released to the public ? The ARC issue I had twice within 12H, so surely a basic test would have spotted that issue ... DO BOSE REALLY NOT TEST ANYTHING BEFORE IT GOES TO THE PUBLIC AND MESSES UP OUR SOUNDBAR AT HOME?

So v5.0.12 is basically worse than the previous release for me.

DO NOT BUY AGAIN THIS SOUNDBAR.

TonyAU
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jan 19, 2017

Hi all, I would like to share my experience with the new firmware.

Firstly, the micro audio drop out on dolby digital is much better but not fully resolved.

Secondly, internet radio via tunein now the audio drops out repeatedly, regardless of which station and this can be for up to 30 seconds to several minutes before audio resumes. This didnt occur before the latest firmware update.

Thirdly, CEC is totally broken. I have a sony tv and with my previous soundtouch 300 never an issue with CEC, on the soundbar 700, CEC ramdomly worked on the previous firmware (mostly didnt work however) and now on the newer firmware it is completely broken. Agree with previous posters here.

@bose, what's next?

Bradey
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

May 27, 2019

Unfortunate you guys are having these new issues. HDMI-CEC working normally for me on a 2018 Samsung TV. Also havent heard a single sound dropout since the update. Maybe try the alternative CEC mode in the app?

Raiden
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Jul 25, 2019

Bose SB700 once set up properly sounds amzing...but the HDMI (ARC) has become a proper nightmare for Bose and its customers....and it seems like despite engineers hard work, Bose is not going anywhere with this...this is I guess the biggest issue with the soundbar 700...

one of the main reasons people buy Bose over Sonos is due to Bose having HDMI (ARC)thus enabling people to buy use universal rmeote, have better sound quality etc....but this HDMI (arc) is nothing more than a major headache and tension for both Bose and us....so guys if you really love Bose wait till the next firmware update (in a few months time I guess and until then use optical) to see if Bose can make it any better (though I have serious doubt as they already are very well aware of the issue and could not do much to help it)...... time to make a decision... 

bp.sg
Friendly Fanatic
Registered since

Apr 21, 2019

My Soundbar 700 remote is not able to control my Samsung TV after the upgrade. Needed to reset the remote, re-pair, and recalibrated before it works again. Small glitches but I have not had a piece of expensive hardware, where the firmware update is so problematic. Other than that I don’t have other issues. 

ThierryB
Strident Supporter
Registered since

Jul 17, 2019

@Bradey wrote:

Unfortunate you guys are having these new issues. HDMI-CEC working normally for me on a 2018 Samsung TV. Also havent heard a single sound dropout since the update. Maybe try the alternative CEC mode in the app?

ARC was working fine on my LG C7 before the last update (apart from Dolby digital sound dropout)

it sounds like by fixing ARC for Samsung they broke it for LG and other brands.

Moreover I have lost some remote control features on the last update after resetting it. Some keys on the Bose remote like “home” don’t work anymore and it was working fine before... which means I lost access to some menus on my TV making the remote useless ...

nadd
Audible Advocate
Registered since

Sep 18, 2014

@Bradey wrote:

I'm one of the unfortunate ones where 5.0.12 has completely broken ARC and CEC with my Sony TV. One of the first things I tried was to use alternative CEC mode, and that didn't make any difference.